Chocolate, Coconut, and Red Curry Crème Caramel

Things are going to get a little freaky-naughty.

Chocolate and Red Coconut Curry Creme Caramel

While I was in Seattle attending IFBC I had the opportunity to try various kinds of Theo Chocolate.  One particular flavor, the Coconut Curry Milk Chocolate, was astoundingly good.  I’m not kidding when I tell you it was the best bar of milk chocolate I had ever tasted.  There was creamy, sweet milk chocolate, crisp flakes of coconut, and a subtle spice from the red curry.  Bliss is truly the only word I have to describe it.  So, I have been working out in my little brain how I could use those same flavors in a dessert, and I think I have it.

Chocolate and Red Coconut Curry Creme Caramel

Crème caramel, or flan, is a creamy baked custard with a soft caramel top, and it is the perfect base for my new flavor obsession.  Red curry paste, the ingredient that may be making you think ‘WTF?’, pairs shockingly well with chocolate.  The curry adds a savory heat to the naturally robust flavor of the chocolate.  Marrying it all together is the burnt sugar depth of the caramel sauce and the mild sweetness of the coconut milk.  When combined, it gives the chocolate infused curry a brightness that makes this dessert devourable.  I know it sounds like it should not work, but I swear to you it does.  Next time you want to take a walk on the wild side give this a try!

Chocolate, Coconut, and Red Curry Crème Caramel     Yield 8 servings

1 cup sugar, divided
3 tablespoons water
2 cups coconut milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon Dutch-processed cocoa powder
1 teaspoon Thai red curry paste
3 ounces bitter-sweet chocolate, chopped finely
4 eggs

Heat the oven to 300 F and place 8 – 6 ounce ramekins in a deep sided baking dish.

Chocolate and Red Coconut Curry Creme Caramel Chocolate and Red Coconut Curry Creme Caramel Chocolate and Red Coconut Curry Creme Caramel

In a small pan combine 1/2 cup sugar with the water.  Over medium-high heat bring the mixture to a rolling boil.  Continue cooking, gently swirling the pan occasionally, until the mixture becomes a deep amber color, about 4 minutes.   Immediately, and carefully, pour the mixture into he ramekins.  Set aside.

In a large bowl whisk together the eggs and the remaining sugar.  Set aside.

In a medium sauce pan combine the coconut milk, cream, cocoa powder, curry paste, salt, and vanilla over medium heat. Stirring constantly bring the mixture to a simmer.  Remove the mixture form the heat and add the chopped chocolate.  Let it stand for one minute then whisk until smooth.  Slowly whisk the warm milk into the eggs.

Strain the mixture into a large measuring cup or pitcher then divide the mixture evenly into the ramekins.  Fill the baking dish with hot water until it reaches half way up the sides of the ramekins.  Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, depending on the shape of your ramekins.  They are ready when the edges are just set and the center is slightly wobbly.  Let the custards cool to room temperature in the water bath, then cover with plastic and chill for at least two hours, or overnight.

To release the crème caramel, run a thin knife around the edge of the custard.  Dip the bottoms of the ramekins into warm water for a few seconds then invert into a serving plate.

Chocolate and Red Coconut Curry Creme Caramel

Chocolate and Red Coconut Curry Creme Caramel

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

28 Responses to “Chocolate, Coconut, and Red Curry Crème Caramel”

1. What an interesting combination! This sounds incredible.

2. Now this is an original dessert. I love chiles in chocolate, so why not curry in creme caramel?

3. eatgreek.net says:

this crème caramel looks amazing!

4. This looks so interesting…love the flavor combo! I’ve been looking forward to this since you tweeted about it!! I think I can do this…just need to buy some red curry paste…

5. What a fabulous and ingenious flavor combination! I can’t wait to try to make it. Your photographs are really spectacular too. It’s great to see all the steps but the quality is enviable. Thanks for the great post.

6. Evan Thomas says:

Never would have imagined to put these ingredients together, but wow am I intrigued

7. You’ve whet our appetite for the last couple of days and now…FINALLY! Just love the combination of flavors; can’t quite imagine them but that’s what is so intriguing. Looks beautiful too; great job!

8. FoodZone says:

What a wonderful combination. Awesome shots.

9. Annie says:

I have heard so much about the combination of heat with chocolate but unfortunately have not been able to try it myself. I think that I would want to try it in a restaurant before in my own kitchen. Wonder if any places around Pittsburgh have that type of dessert?

10. Stephanie says:

Curry?! Interesting – can’t imagine this wouldn’t taste really good!

11. i love chili chocolate, bet curry paste – chocolate would be a hit in my house too
    thanks so much for sharing

12. I saw on Twitter you made this and ate it before you even took a photo! Then it must be delicious! :)

Very strange, but I think I’m up for it….

13. Interesting. I love spicy chocolate and this is giving me some good ideas about new Thai twists. So the coconut milk doesn’t make the creme caramel weep?

14. I love that this was inspired by Theo! I still dream of those ghost chili caramels. This dish looks lovely… I’m not a big curry fan, but I think I’ll have to give it a try. :)

15. naama peled says:

Looks lovely and creamy

16. Jenny Nguyen says:

I recently tried a brownie with red curry and it was delicous! This would be too, I’m sure :)

17. Yummy. I made my first brulee last weekend! It was fathers day here in Sweden so I decided to surprise my dad with his favorite dessert. Huuge success! :)

18. visda says:

looks delicious!

19. Wow! What an interesting combination of flavours, and it looks easy to prepare! Congrats on the top 9!

20. Spice Sherpa says:

I live for this kind of food. Ok, small exaggeration but not much! It sounds so interesting and delicious. There is such a fine line between sweet and savory–this dessert walks it well.

21. Sara says:

If CHOCOLATE, COCONUT, AND RED CURRY CRÈME CARAMEL is naughty, then I don’t want to be nice. How amazing does this sound? Can’t wait to make it myself.

22. I love this flavor combination! I will have to try it this holiday season. It looks very elegant and sounds delicious! Hope you have a loveley Thanksgiving:)

23. Paula says:

what a delicious blog! here is so many uncanny inspirations!

have a nice time,
    Paula

24. Sharon says:

I must admit ..you have managed to activate my salivary glands…The pictures are simply outstanding

25. Ahh yum. That looks delicious, and sounds like a great combination of flavors. Bookmarked :)

26. That looks so silky and I must say the red curry part got my attention!!
    I would like to present you with “The Versatile Blogger” Award drop my site later to pick it up
    http://konstantkraver.blogspot.com/2010/12/versatile-blogger-award.html :0)

1. Tweets that mention Chocolate, Coconut, and Red Curry Crème Caramel | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog -- Topsy.com - November 12, 2010

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Janet Rudolph, Evil Shenanigans and jmfield, shulie madnick. shulie madnick said: Daring shenanigans thx n #FF RT @bakingblog Fresh Shenanigans! Chocolate, Coconut, and Red Curry Crème Caramel – http://bit.ly/bsRUd3 [...]

2. 50 Best Chocolate Recipes on the Internet « 50 Best Recipes « - September 9, 2012

[...] Chocolate Coconut and Red Curry Creme Caramel [...]