Sweet Potato, Apple and Caramelized Onion Gratin

I am exhausted.

Sweet Potato, Apple, and Caramelized Onion Gratin

Project Food Blog has been, and continues to be, intense, I’ve had friends in from out of the country, I have four family birthdays coming up, and I am still working three part-time jobs.  On top of it all looms the specter of Thanksgiving and all the preparation that entails.  I am doing my best not to think about it too closely and a good distraction is my kitchen.  This gratin was born out of my efforts to escape the end-of-year crush with cheesy, creamy, carbohydrate laden comfort.  It was, if I do say so myself, a success.

Sweet Potato, Apple, and Caramelized Onion Gratin

The trick to making this dish easy to prepare is to slice your sweet potato as thinly as possible.  I used a mandolin to achieve nearly paper thin slices, but if you do not have one you can slice the potato as thinly as your knife can manage.   If your slices are thicker than 1/8 th of an inch just par cook the potatoes so a paring knife meets the slightest bit of resistance in the center of the slices.  You can use any cheeses you prefer in this dish.  I happened to have sharp cheddar, which pairs so well with apple, but gruyère, fontina, or even a pepper-jack would be lovely.

Sweet Potato, Apple and Caramelized Onion Gratin   Serves 8

1 medium sweet potato, thinly sliced
1 granny smith apple, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
1/4 cup caramelized onions
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon coriander
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 cup full fat sour cream
1 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon cornstarch

Heat the oven to 375F and spray a 1-quart gratin dish with non-stick spray.

In a small bowl mix the cornstarch into the cream, then blend in the sour cream.  Set aside.

In another small bowl mix together the salt, cinnamon, coriander, and smoked paprika until evenly mixed.  Set aside.

Sweet Potato, Apple, and Caramelized Onion Gratin Sweet Potato, Apple, and Caramelized Onion Gratin Sweet Potato, Apple, and Caramelized Onion Gratin Sweet Potato, Apple, and Caramelized Onion Gratin

In the prepared gratin dish layer 1/3 of the sweet potatoes, apples, and caramelized onions.  Dust with 1/3 of the spice mixture then add 1/3 of the cheese and pour over 1/3 of the cream mixture.  Repeat two more times.

Sweet Potato, Apple, and Caramelized Onion Gratin

Bake the gratin covered in foil for 40 minutes, then uncover and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, our until the gratin is bubbling and the cheese has browned.

Sweet Potato, Apple, and Caramelized Onion Gratin

Sweet Potato, Apple, and Caramelized Onion Gratin

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

27 Responses to “Sweet Potato, Apple and Caramelized Onion Gratin”

1. Jim Mosier says:

Oh my. that sounds perfect. I’ll have to pass it along to the folks at the sweet potato capital of the world-Vardaman Mississippi.

2. eatgreek.net says:

it looks so tasty! may I have a bite? :P :-)

3. cheesy warm comfort food is exactly what you need when that feeling of overwhelm threatens your sanity. This dish looks perfect! Good luck with PFB Theresa

4. Evan Thomas says:

This sounds delicious! It would be so welcomed at the Thanksgiving table, that’s for sure.

5. I LOVE my mandolin and I know what I’m going to making with it next ; ) Swoon!

6. Yum! That looks like carb heaven. Great photos too by the way!

7. briarrose says:

Beautiful recipe. I love the mix of ingredients.

8. You are one busy gal and still manage to make delicious things like this?! I’m amazed.

9. What a wonderful combination of sweet and savory! I hope you can get some rest soon.

10. What a perfect fall dish!

11. This looks amazing! I love onions and sweet potatoes. And of course, I love cheese.

12. Annie says:

I feel ya with the being exhausted. I work at a specialty toy store full time and our busy season is just beginning to heat up. That gratin looks perfect and I want some RIGHT NOW.

13. Liz @ Blog is the New Black says:

This looks delicious. It looks like a great comfort meal, also.

14. Jason Phelps says:

We have started making these will all sorts of root vegtables. So good and great for the cooler weather!

Jason

15. Traci says:

This recipe looks delicious! Thanks for sharing! hang in there!!

16. Tiffany says:

I made some less than great roasted sweet potatoes last night, thank you for a new recipe that sounds wonderful!

17. Jennifer says:

I love sweet potatoes and yams. Can’t think of anything better than adding cheese and carmelized onions. I’m definitely making this.

18. Michelle says:

This sounds just wonderful. I love finding savory sweet potato dishes and this is getting bookmarked right now.

MMm, cheesy comfort food. Looks delish.

20. This looks absolutely lovely. I would love to curl up with a bowl right now. Perfectly comforting!

21. Yum Yucky says:

YOU, my dear, are fantastic! And this dish of yours look like heaven…potatoed over. :)

22. what a great idea–perfect for a new thanksgiving side dish!

23. Joanne says:

It’s definitely hard to cope when getting in the kitchen becomes stressful when it used to be stress relieving. I’m sure you’ll rock PFB though! This gratin looks wonderful and I love how you kept the warm spices in the mix even while adding a savory cheese twist!

24. Jenni says:

Wow–looks wonderful. If that isn’t good for what ails you, nothing is! :)

1. Tweets that mention Sweet Potato, Apple and Caramelized Onion Gratin | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog -- Topsy.com - November 5, 2010

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Oxford Falls, Evil Shenanigans, Evil Shenanigans, Evil Shenanigans, Barbara Kiebel and others. Barbara Kiebel said: So wish I had a sweet potato! RT @bakingblog: Sweet Potato, Apple and Caramelized Onion Gratin http://bit.ly/bxQFKs [...]

2. Applepalooza! Wrap Up - The Hazel Bloom - December 1, 2010

[...] Fried Pies and Sweet Potato, Apple, and Caramelized Onion Gratin from Evil [...]

3. Friday Favorites – Episode 72 | my kitchen addiction - February 19, 2011

[...] we’re talking about comfort food, be sure to take a look at this Sweet Potato, Apple, and Caramelized Onion Gratin from Evil Shenanigans… I’m thinking it would make a pretty stellar dish for Thanksgiving, [...]