Bacon Dill Potato Salad

The holidays are not always frosty and cold. Sometimes they are downright warm!

Bacon Dill Potato Salad

At least they are in the Dallas area.  Sure, last year we enjoyed a white Christmas, but our typical Christmas is spent in often balmy 70 degree weather.  When I plan my Christmas Day meal I pay close attention to the weather.  If temps are looking to be above 60 then I plan a lighter meal that can be served cold, or at room temperature.  This potato salad is a perfect addition to a Christmas Day table … espically if your table includes any kind of grilled meats.  (This year we are grilling our turkey, and I am making baby back ribs – so potato salad is appropriate!)

Bacon Dill Potato Salad

Since this is meant to be festive, I used a mix of baby red, blue and yellow potatoes, but any kind of baby potato will be fine.  You may think this salad has a lot of dressing, but I dress  my potatoes when they are very hot, then allow them to chill for at least four hours in the fridge.  The potatoes seem to soak up a lot of the dressing, which is not a bad thing considering how tasty it is, so the salad is very flavorful.  This is good cold or at room temperature, and you could eat it warm but I think it is best if the flavors have a chance to get all cozy in the fridge.

Bacon Dill Potato Salad        Serves 6

1 pound baby potatoes, sliced in half
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons fresh chopped dill
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 clove garlic, grated
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
1/2 teaspoon fresh grated onion
4 strips thick cut bacon, cooked crisp and chopped

Bacon Dill Potato Salad

Put the potatoes in a large pot and add enough water to cover by one inch.  Add a few generous pinches of kosher salt and place the pot over high heat.  Once the potatoes come to a boil set a timer for 10 minutes.  The potatoes are ready when they are fork tender.  Drain well.

Bacon Dill Potato Salad Bacon Dill Potato Salad

In a large bowl combine the mayonnaise, mustard, dill, garlic, smoked paprika, pepper, salt, and onion and mix well.  Add the hot potatoes and gently toss to coat.  Add half the chopped bacon and fold in.  Cover and chill for at least four hours.

Bacon Dill Potato Salad

Garnish with the reserved bacon.  Enjoy!

Bacon Dill Potato Salad

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

17 Responses to “Bacon Dill Potato Salad”

1. oh dear, you had me at bacon! what a killer potato salad!

2. Evan Thomas says:

Great recipe! Bacon and potatoes are my two favorite foods besides peanut butter and chocolate

3. Felice says:

Holidays are certainly warm here in Hawaii (and they were when I was growing up in Australia too). Although I like to follow tradition it is so nice to have alternatives. I just like to think of them as new traditions. This potato salad looks like it could become a new tradition.

4. RavieNomNoms says:

Wow!! What a great recipe! I love potato salad, but I love your little additions from the norm.

5. Kathy Gori says:

Everything goes better with bacon!

6. OMG I love potato salad. and with bacon? Love it. Love. it.

7. Kita says:

This would really hit the spot at the moment.

8. Yum! Remember last year when it snowed in Dallas? We got a pre-Christmas snow and a Christmas Eve snow!! It was so great, but I love the warm Christmases too :)

9. Bacon and potatoes – amazing combo! I like this potato salad recipe…thank you for sharing!

10. Tiffany says:

I love your potato salad recipe, it sounds wonderful, and your photos are excellent!

11. Right up my potato salad alley and I love the use of the multi color potatoes. I’ve been adding bacon and deleting relish forever; it’s a very good move!

12. Michelle says:

I typically add dill to my potato salad, or I make a “baked potato” salad with bacon, but I’ve never combined them. What was I thinking? Looks delicious!

13. retro sweets says:

ugh, this salad is so tempting! those bacons are really really attractive… gotta make one later!!!

14. Annie says:

I had never had dill in a potato salad until someone had brought it to a picnic. It as the best potato salad I had ever had. I shamefully admit that it as even better than my grandmothers. Unfortunately I didn’t get the recipe but I am eager to give your a try!

15. Yum! Even though it’s mighty cold here, that potato salad is still looking great!

1. Tweets that mention Bacon Dill Potato Salad | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog -- Topsy.com - December 17, 2010

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Evil Shenanigans, Evil Shenanigans. Evil Shenanigans said: Fresh Shenanigans! Bacon Dill Potato Salad! http://bit.ly/dIurDt [...]

2. Six Ways to Have a Happier, Healthier Summer | daily digest - June 20, 2013

[...] have the bonus of impressing your friends. Here are some swaps for common picnic calorie-bombs: Potato salad (Kelly suggests swapping half the mayo with plain Greek yogurt). Pasta salad (or this one with [...]