Butter Drop Cookies

Mon, Dec 20, 2010

Baking, Cookies, Featured Articles, Recipes

I always want to look like I put in the extra effort, even when time is tight.

Butter Drop Cookies

Festive decorated cookies are all well and good, but sometimes there is absolutely no time to get fancy.  That makes this recipe an absolute treasure because you get bright, festive cookies that taste light, buttery, and delicious.  Of course, these are not just for the holidays.  Rolled in red and blue sugar these are great for the 4th of July.  If you fancy cookies for St. Patrick’s Day Roll them in green and white sugar.  Having a watching party for a favorite sports team?  I think you get the idea.

Butter Drop Cookies

What I love best about these cookies, aside from their easy preparation, is their texture.  They puff quite a bit while baking, and do not deflate much as they cool, making them light as air.  I find them quite addicting with a cup of strong, spiced tea or a mug of bourbon spiked cocoa.  You can play with the flavors in this cookie.  A tablespoon or lemon, lime, or orange zest would give these beauties a lovely citrus aroma.  However you make them I promise you will not be disappointed.

Butter Drop Cookies    Yield 4 dozen

1 cup butter at room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs, at room temperature
1/8 teaspoon almond extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Colored sugars, for rolling

Heat the oven to 350 F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

Butter Drop Cookies Butter Drop Cookies

In a medium bowl cream together the butter and sugar until well combined and just lightened in color.  Add the vanilla and almond extracts along with the eggs and beat until well combined.

In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.  Add the flour mixture to the butter and mix, on low speed, until the mixture is smooth and no dry flour remains.

Butter Drop Cookies Butter Drop Cookies

Scoop the dough by rounded tablespoons and roll into 1-inch balls.  Roll the balls in sugar, making sure to cover all sides, then place on the prepared sheet pans.  Flatten the cookies with a glass, or smooth bottom measuring cup.  Bake for 8 – 10 minutes, or until the cookies are just golden brown at the edges and puffed.  Cool for three minutes on the pan then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Butter Drop Cookies

Butter Drop Cookies

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

29 Responses to “Butter Drop Cookies”

1. these look perfectly festive and i’m all for easy cookies!

2. Lovely colors and I can only imagine that with those wonderful ingredients, that these taste incredible as well.

3. Roxan says:

These cookies look great – I love how fluffy they look! I can see what you mean… these are a great go to cookie that’s really versatile.

4. RavieNomNoms says:

What fabulous cookies!

5. Kathy Gori says:

these look great!!!

6. maria says:

Such pretty cookies!

7. I love sugar cookies and these look so festive!

8. visda says:

These look gorgeous. How much time did you spend on making them altogether? Thanks for sharing.

9. I love the colours!! So so pretty.

10. Veronica says:

I have been following you a while but hardly ever comment–I’m a bad commenter! Anyway, I wanted to drop by to tell you how disappointed I was that you didn’t make it to the final rounds of Project Food Blog. I really think you deserved to win and you were the one I always voted for and rooted for. Even if you didn’t win, you’re number one in my heart! :)

11. Ilke says:

I am done with Christmas baking but these babies will go to the next Clemson game get-together! Thanks for the recipe! (And please do not judge me by the team I support. I kinda have to!:))

12. With nutella between two of them. That’s how I’d make them, at least. I haven’t seen you around on Twitter lately–I hope things are going well.

13. Brandy K says:

I made these this morning. They were so yummy! Thanks a bunch for posting this great recipe. :)

14. Amy says:

I just made these cookies last night and they are amazing! My husband can’t stop eating them!

15. Christine says:

I made these last night and they are AWESOME! I had been looking for a butter cookie recipe where the cookies are still moist and soft — this is it. My fiance can’t stop eating them. Love the nutella sandwich idea… These would be great for ice cream sandwiches, too.

Help! I followed the recipe exactly but my mixture came out all sticky :( What did I do wrong?

Kelly – The mixture is sticky, you did nothing wrong. These are not roll out cookies, they are drop cookies.

…Darn. My lack of experience in baking is showing :( But…how do you get the sugar coated evenly? Mine just sort of…smooshed around with sugar getting inside the mix…Should I just use a measuring tablespoon to scoop it out then use it to roll it around the sugar?

Kelly: Yes, just scoop out the dough and gently toss it in colored sugar.

Ah, thank you so much!

21. Marie says:

These cookies are outstanding. I made them over the weekend. I searched on foodblogsearch for easy Christmas Cookies. Your recipe came up. I will be making them again very soon. I LOVE them.

22. Natalie says:

These were a disaster for me! Thy came out like crackers not fluffy at all! Thy taste good but too thin! Very sad!

23. Kokoro says:

Add a bunch of different types of sprinkles and one awesome recipe to get the delicious cookies I’m eating right now. THANK YOU!

24. Dionne says:

i tried doing this and my first cookie looked like an explosion.
    i had to add a third cup of extra flour to the recipe(halved) to make it work and be able to roll in the sugar.
    it would be great if you could make a video showing how exactly you ‘drop’ the cookies into the sugar and have them come out as perfectly as that.
    honestly i cant believe you did that awesomness with the sticky mess i got.

1. Tweets that mention Butter Drop Cookies | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog -- Topsy.com - December 20, 2010

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Evil Shenanigans and Evil Shenanigans, Julia Mestas. Julia Mestas said: These are my kinda Christmas cookie! RT @bakingblog Fresh Shenanigans! Butter Drop Cookies – http://bit.ly/ewa07g [...]

2. MOXEE - December 16, 2011

[...] Butter drop cookies. My FAVORITE … there’s almond involved!! 2. Cookies & cream kiss cookies. We [...]