Buttermilk Brown Butter Scones

It has been pretty cold here, and I have been pretty busy.

Buttermilk Brown Butter Scones

I have been busy plugging away on my cookbook and that has taken a lot of my time.  So much of my time, in fact, that I have dedicated very little time to recreational baking.  So, when I decided to come out of my writing cave I knew one thing.  Whatever I made would have to be easy.  It would also have to be tasty enough to chase off the winter blahs.  Scones fit the bill perfectly.  They are easy, needing the lightest of touches, and they certainty taste good.  What I love about scones is their versatility, going from breakfast, to snack, to dessert with only a few additions.

Buttermilk Brown Butter Scones

The butter in these scones are incorporated in two parts.  First is the brown butter which is rubbed into the flour mixture very well.  This ensures that the nutty goodness is evenly distributed, and that the flour is well coated to inhibit gluten development.  The second addition is in the form of chilled, cubed butter.  This butter adds some lift to the scones and some flaky layers.  The finished scones are lightly sweet, lightly nutty, and very tender.  I enjoyed these with some strawberry jam which brought a little spring freshness to my chilly winter evening.

Buttermilk Brown Butter Scones   Serves 8

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
5 tablespoons butter, browned and cooled
3 tablespoons butter, cubed and chilled
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
1 egg, beaten
Sugar, for topping

Heat the oven to 400 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Buttermilk Brown Butter Scones

In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt until well combined.

Buttermilk Brown Butter Scones Buttermilk Brown Butter Scones

Add in the browned butter and, using your fingers, rub it in until the mixture looks like coarse sand.  Add the cubed butter and rub it in until the butter is in pea sized pieces.

Buttermilk Brown Butter Scones Buttermilk Brown Butter Scones Buttermilk Brown Butter Scones

Add the buttermilk and vanilla and mix until the dough forms a shaggy ball.  Turn the dough out onto a well floured work surface and form it into a 10-inch disk that is 1/2-inch thick.  Cut into eight wedges.

Buttermilk Brown Butter Scones Buttermilk Brown Butter Scones

Place the wedges on the prepared baking sheet and brush with beaten egg.  Dust the tops with sugar then bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until the scones are golden brown.  Cool slightly before serving.

Buttermilk Brown Butter Scones

Buttermilk Brown Butter Scones

© 2011, Evil Shenanigans – Baking & Cooking Blog. All rights reserved.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

27 Responses to “Buttermilk Brown Butter Scones”

1. Yum Yucky says:

I just showed this to my husband. He’s gonna make it for me. muahaahahahaaaa!

2. Felice says:

I am so glad that you came out of you writing cave because we all benefit from having this recipe. They look quick, easy, and best of all tasty.

3. Miss says:

I want to go into the kitchen and make these right now. Scones are my favorite and I’d bet the brown butter makes these extra yummy!

4. Oh dear, these look delicious! And your photos are gorgeous!

5. kitchenarian says:

I do love scones and when you add browned butter…oh my goodness. I am sure glad you made these. Now I can too. Thanks for the recipe!

6. Anything with brown butter has me hooked.

7. I love the way browned butter gives a rich nutty flavor to cookies, using half chilled butter and half browned butter here to enhance the flavor of the scones without compromising the flaky texture is a great idea.

8. Those are some gorgeous scones! I love brown butter in recipes, great job!

9. Liz says:

Wow, browned butter pushes these over the edge to super wonderful! Great idea!

10. brown butter is the perfect flavor…these are beautiful and now i’ll be dreaming about scones all day!

11. Stunning photos! I really like the use of two forms of butter in this recipe. It’s a great idea!

12. I’m glad the writing is coming along so well, and I’m also glad that you’re finding at least a little time to bake for fun. These scones sound amazing – I love the simplicity of them. Looking forward to seeing you soon!

13. Kath says:

Beautiful scones! @Yum Yucky: Lucky woman!

14. maria says:

Scones always make me happy! Love this recipe!

15. Jason Phelps says:

I order myself to make and eat theses…

Jason

16. These scones look lovely… I’m especially fond of the addition of brown butter. I might have to put these on the baking list for the weekend!

17. I want to love scones, but I always feel like I’m eating a doorstop. Any suggestions?

18. Tiffany says:

Yum! I bet the extra step of browning the butter makes such a rich scone! Good luck writing!

19. Kelly, that is absolutely the most gorgeous food photo I have seen in a LONG time! Wow!

I’m not a big scone person, but your version with brown butter and buttermilk seems to be calling my name! These are bookmarked for sure :)

P.S. Did you decide on Food Blog South? I’m so excited, I can barely stand it! :)

20. Skylar says:

Those look great! and they dont look dried out, which is the best

21. Chef Dennis says:

Those scones look so very very good!! What I wouldn’t give to have one with my coffee right now!
    Congrats on the top 9 today
    Dennis

22. Shannon says:

These are definitely going on my “scones to bake” list. Since having my first scone this past fall (I know, crazy), I’ve gone scone crazy! I love to bake them and especially eat them. Brilliant as usual!!

23. Lynn says:

What a timely post. I made lemon curd yesterday, and I’ll make these this weekend to go with it.
    Thank you!

24. These look amazing. I love scones!

25. Adding brown butter to scones = pure genius!! Yum :)

26. munchkie says:

Great recipe! Your photos are really making me drool…

1. Tweets that mention Buttermilk Brown Butter Scones | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog -- Topsy.com - January 14, 2011

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Evil Shenanigans, Evil Shenanigans, Mardi, cristina again and others. cristina again said: Looking fwd to trying this recipe –> “@bakingblog: Fresh Shenanigans! Buttermilk Brown Butter Scones!! http://bit.ly/fprjZW” [...]