Crab Jalapeno Hushpuppies

I love hushpuppies. Crab Jalapeno Hushpuppies

I mean, who does not like golden grown, deep fried balls of delicious cornbread?  When I was growing up we had them with fried fish and shrimp dinners and they were the item I ate most greedily.  These days I make hushpuppies for all sorts of occasions and I have found they make an excellent appetizer, especially if I add a little seafood directly to the batter.

Crab Jalapeno Hushpuppies

These hushpuppies are very rich.  Lump crab meat is rich alone, but I added melted cream cheese to the batter to give the cornbread a little creaminess.  I also added some sharp cheddar cheese, fresh garlic, and fresh jalapeno for extra bite.  You do not need a dipping sauce for these, but if you decided to use one I recommend a good tartar sauce, or even some ranch dressing.  Personally, I they are perfect just as they are fresh from the fryer.

Crab Jalapeno Hushpuppies    Serves 8-12

1 ounce cream cheese, melted
12 ounces lump crab meat, picked through for shells
1/3 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 jalapeno, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
Oil, for frying

Heat 3-inches of oil in a pot, with at least a 3-inch air gap at the top, to 350F.

Crab Jalapeno Hushpuppies

In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, and sugar until well combined.

Crab Jalapeno Hushpuppies Crab Jalapeno Hushpuppies

In a separate bowl whisk together the buttermilk, egg, butter, and cream cheese until well mixed.  Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until most of the flour mixture is moistened.  Add the crab, shredded cheese, jalapeno, and garlic  and mix until well combined.

Crab Jalapeno Hushpuppies

Scoop the mixture by the rounded tablespoon into the hot oil.  Cook, turning occasionally, until the hushpuppies are golden brown all over, about 4 minutes.  Drain on a wire rack and cool slightly.  Serve warm.

Crab Jalapeno Hushpuppies

Crab Jalapeno Hushpuppies

© 2011, Evil Shenanigans – Baking & Cooking Blog. All rights reserved.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

43 Responses to “Crab Jalapeno Hushpuppies”

1. I’ve never had them but they look delicious! I’m so afraid to make anything deep fried… for fear that I’ll eat it all up!

2. Those look fabulous! Used to get some at this BBQ place in San Diego. Haven’t had them since but now I must eat some soon! Thanks!

3. I really don’t even know where to begin with these. There is not a single ingredient in these little fried balls of amazingness that sounds bad. And all of them combined? Heaven! These would be a great addition to a super bowl party!

4. Miss says:

I love hushpuppies and these sound extraordinary! My folks owned a catfish restaurant when I was growing up and their hushpuppy recipe won awards. How I miss that!

5. Jara says:

These look so delicious. I’ve never had a hushpuppy before but they’ve always looks so appealing and these are no different.

6. I want to cry, these look so good!

7. Jenny says:

Oh man… Another super bowl snack?! They look delicious!!

8. sabita says:

Great!!!! this snack looks so scrumptious…..

9. Vanessa says:

I love that these have crab in them, they must be delicious!

10. These remind me of some shrimp chipotle cakes I made once but your recipe is far better because you can cook them so fast. I would definitely try them with a little ranch dressing.

11. Ah Hushpuppies…be still my heart!

12. We’re big on hush puppies, but even more so with these crab and jalapenos!

13. Deborah Dowd says:

These sound absolutely amazing and I am not even a fan of hush puppies! I am thinking these might find a place on my Super Bowl menu!

14. Victoria says:

Oh these look perfect! I love hushpuppies and other yummy fried fritters, and the addition of crab, cheese, and jalapeno in these definitely take them over the top!

15. Polwig says:

I had hushpuppies but never with crab. This would be gone in five sec in my house.

16. oh wow, these look delicious…I love hushpuppies AND jalapeno :)

17. Kim-Liv Life says:

I have to admit that I’ve never had a hushpuppy… but these look darn tempting!!! Love the jalapeño addition. How perfect would these be on my Super Bowl Table???!!! ;)

18. cookette says:

These look great! They would be a great addition to a super bowl menu!

Oh my, how delicious! A meal in and of itself!

20. Goodness gracious! I so want a few of those on my plate right here, right now! Crab meat and cream cheese? Yes!

21. Sasa says:

I’m a deep frying queen as well – not sure why so many people are scared of deep frying, I mean it’s just boiling in oil instead of water right? ;P Being from New Zealand I’ve never had a hush puppy but I don’t think I can resist a name like that.

22. Oh man, hushpuppies are delicious. This crab-jalepeno combination sounds fantastic; thanks for sharing the recipe!

23. briarrose says:

Beautiful job! I just realized it’s been forever since I had a hushpuppy. Man I adore those things.

24. Susan @ Our Family Eats says:

Wow, these got my attention. I can almost hear the crunch as I bite into them. Perfectly done!

25. Joy says:

That looks wonderful. I am loving this recipe.

26. Mindy says:

Goodness, these sound awesome.

27. Nam says:

These look deliciously awesome! Golden nuggets of goodness! :)

28. OH GEEEEEZ these look good!!!! It doesn’t get much better than this… i gotta try this one.

29. Kita says:

I was on a business lunch yesterday and my eyes lit up when I saw hushpuppies appear on a co-workers place as a garnish…. Yeah, now I know why they were a garnish. I was sooo sad! The hushpuppy had no flavor. It may have well been iceberg lettuce. These hushpuppies though, oh they look like they rock out with flavor!

30. Ruth says:

Made these last night to go with some clam chowder. I left out the crab because I didn’t have any and they were still amazing. Will get crab next time I make them. Very easy!

31. Yum! I love hushpuppies, and adding crab and jalapeño just takes them over the top! Fabulous!

32. Ang says:

I have only had hushpuppies once and they were good, but this addition of jalapenos would take it over the top.

33. Jason Phelps says:

Ahhh, hushpuppie crab cakes. I love all of the flavors and textures here.

Jason

34. RavieNomNoms says:

Oh my goodness these look amazing! I love crab and jalapenos AND hushpuppies so this would just be perfect for me! I haven’t had hushpuppies in so long, I just gotta try this out and have them :-)

35. Those look so nice and crispy and good!

36. Sarah says:

Hi there! I’ve been enjoying your blog for a while and have linked to your recipes in the past. I was curious, have you ever participated in a blog hop? We’d love it if you came and checked ours out today, the theme is favorite Winter Warm-Up recipes. I think this yummy hush puppy recipe would be perfect to show off, our readers would love it! Anyway, it’s a great way to get some link love.

You can find the hop here:
    [LINK REMOVED]
    Hope to see you there, take care,

Sarah
    Editor
    RecipeLion.com
    blog.recipelion.com

37. My husband is crazy for hushpuppies, I know he’ll love these! Great recipe:)

38. domenica says:

ciao looks sooo good… I’ll try for sure is a great recipe thank you to share

1. Tweets that mention Crab Jalapeno Hushpuppies | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog -- Topsy.com - January 31, 2011

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by E. Foley, Evil Shenanigans, Evil Shenanigans, hungrybuds, Georgie Kubarych and others. Georgie Kubarych said: @bakingblog Those hush-puppies are evil but good! http://bit.ly/esucId […]

2. Friday Favorites – Episode 79 | my kitchen addiction - February 4, 2011

[…] love hushpuppies (much more than I’d like to admit). So, I’m absolutely loving these Crab Jalapeño Hushpuppies from Evil Shenanigans.  If you serve these to your party guests, I’m pretty sure you will be hosting the Super […]

3. Crab Jalapeno Hushpuppies | What2Cook - June 7, 2013