Orange Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Muffins

Forget the resolutions … I’ll take a muffin!

Orange Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Muffins

It is a new year and rather than plague myself with empty promises about how I will eat better and work out more I decided to kick off the new year with a fragrant chocolate studded muffin.  Muffins make a great breakfast, are always good to give friends and neighbors, and make great after school/work treats.  Like any muffin the secret is not to over-mix the batter, so just repeat after me, “Lumps are my friends … ”

Orange Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Muffins

These muffins have a subtle orange flavor, but if you want more orange punch just add some extra zest.  Sour cream gives these muffins a cake like texture and a hearty, rich flavor so the citrus works to keep the flavors in balance.  Of course I added semi-sweet chocolate, as is my preference, but you could just as easily use milk chocolate or even white chocolate chips.  If you are going for a more fruity option try adding some dried cranberries or cherries soaked in orange juice.

Orange Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Muffins    Yield 18

2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon orange zest
1/4 cup butter melted
1/3 cup orange juice
3/4 cup sour cream
2 eggs
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, plus extra for garnish
2 tablespoons flour

Heat the oven to 375 F and line a 12 cup muffin pan with paper liners.

Orange Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Muffins

In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking, and salt.

Orange Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Muffins

In a separate bowl combine the orange zest, butter, vanilla, orange juice, sour cream, and eggs.

In a small bowl toss together the chocolate chips with the 2 tablespoons of flour until they are well coated.

Orange Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Muffins Orange Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Muffins

Add the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until most of the dry ingredients are moist.   Add the chocolate chips and fold to incorporate.

Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin pan and top with a few extra chocolate chips, if desired.  Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until the center of the muffins springs back when lightly pressed and the tops are golden brown.  Cool in the pan for 3 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Orange Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Muffins

Orange Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Muffins

© 2011, Evil Shenanigans – Baking & Cooking Blog. All rights reserved.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

37 Responses to “Orange Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Muffins”

1. I like your take on resolutions. I’ll grab this muffin over any “healthier” option every day!

2. DROOLING! this sounds way better than healthy muffins…and i’d probably stop at one…way better than eating 12 healthy ones!

3. Oh dear these are amazing! I am thinking of them with dried cherries – yum!

4. Roxan says:

You know, I’ve never had an orange muffin before! But this sounds amazing, I would totally love to eat one of these tomorrow morning for breakfast…. or right now. Stunning photography as always!

5. Shannon says:

I’m not even that crazy about chocolate chips in muffins, but these are making me drool! They look so pretty!

6. RavieNomNoms says:

Yes please! Love your pictures too!

7. Gayle Martin says:

Thanks for posting. I have some leftover sour cream in the refrigerator that I didn’t know what to do with, so I’m going to try this.

8. I love the combination of orange and chocolate; every Christmas Santa had better remember to give me a Terry’s Chocolate Orange in my stocking! I am on the bandwagon for doing without for awhile but these are now on my list of ‘to do’s.’

Nice.

9. Sara says:

I’ve also made no resolutions and kicked off the year with something sweet. These muffins are perfect. i love the orange and chocolate combo!

10. Darcy says:

Amen to that! These look scrumptious. Chocolate pairs so nicely with a hint of orange.

I’m digging these. Now, to keep my control, though, I’ll have to make them when the kids are around so I only get to eat one or two.

12. briarrose says:

Orange and chocolate….so good. This muffin could make me into a morning person….ok that would never happen…but it would make me make less zombie noises at the crack of dawn. ;)

13. Trying to eat balanced and exercise is great but if someone says “you can’t have chocolate everyday” then I think they don’t know much about dieting at all.

14. maria says:

Yep, I am making these! Yum!

15. Evan Thomas says:

These sound SO good. Orange + chocolate is one of my favorite combination. Plus, with orange it has fruit, right? So then they’re healthy and it’s OK to eat 4.

16. Muffins for new years, great! I’m all for fun resolutions, rather than daunting goals. These sound like you could just throw them together quickly and enjoy!

17. Tiffany says:

I love orange and chocolate! And I love your blue muffin tin liners :D

18. Beautiful! I’d much rather have a muffin than worry about resolutions. :)

19. Kathy Gori says:

I am now so glad I haven’t made any resolutions. These look great/

20. wow, they looks so moist and yummy! :)

21. Chocolate can never be a bad way to start off the new year! I’ll just make mini-muffins, less guilt :-)

22. You made Top 9! Congrats! Well deserved with these muffins!

23. Excellent! I just obtained some fresh Florida oranges and had been contemplating ways to bake them into cakes. These look delicious; can’t wait to try them out. ^_^ Very cute liners too, by the way.

24. Bewick says:

I made your muffins this afternoon. They taste good ;-) This muffin recipe is a keeper. Thank you.

25. Lauren says:

These look like so much fun to eat! I love how the chocolate chips are popping out everywhere :)

26. Yum! Gorgeous photos, as always :)

27. EATnLISTEN says:

My new years resolution is to eat everything with a side of gravy….I hope you are having a terrific new year!

28. Who needs resolutions when there’s muffins?! These look great — I think I’ll be making them this weekend!

29. Oooh that melted chocolate chip!! It’s literally calling out my name!

30. mcosita says:

These turned out awesome, thanks so much! Very unlike any other muffins I’d made before, but soooo yummy.

31. corrie says:

I just found your blog and love it! I’m just wondering…where do you get all your cute muffin tin liners? I’m really into baking anything in muffin liners right now but don’t know where to find the cute ones:)

Corrie – I get most of my liners at discount stores and even the grocery store. I love funky liners and I always look for really colorful ones.

33. sharon says:

hi, i just was your website and am inspired! i will try this orange chocolate chip muffin receipt tonight! can you let me know though how long i should bake it for and at what temp if i decide to do mini muffins instead?

1. Tweets that mention Orange Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Muffins | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog -- Topsy.com - January 4, 2011

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Evil Shenanigans. Evil Shenanigans said: Fresh Shenanigans! Orange Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Muffins! http://bit.ly/gHmDt2 [...]

2. Orange & Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Muffins - January 11, 2011

[...] is a recipe by Evil Shenanigans that was featured in Foodbuzz’s Top 9 last week.  I was [...]

3. How can I use chocolate chips to make a chocolate coating? - September 17, 2011

[...] Chocolate Candy and Chocolate CoatingPretzels + chocolate coating + kosher salt = effortless goodiesOrange Sour Cream Chocolate Chip MuffinsWhat is the recipe for Chips and Chaps?Q&A: Heating chocolate syrup as opposed to melting [...]

4. Breakfast in Bed « SerendipityCatering 303.561.3663 - May 10, 2012