Jam Filled Banana Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting

Oh how I love overripe bananas.

Jam Filled Banana Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting

I do not often have them, we are prolific banana eaters in my house, but when I do I like to bake them into breads and cakes.  So does my husband, so it typically works out pretty well for everyone.  This time around I was thinking about peanut butter and bananas.  When I explained my vision to hubs he suggested that some grape jam filling might be a good idea.  He was right.

Jam Filled Banana Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting

Ultimately these are like the best peanut butter, banana, and jam sandwich you ever had.  The cake is tender with little nuggets of creamy banana throughout.  Without the jam and frosting it is a lovely banana cake that would make a good breakfast or snack all alone.  I used grape jam to fill the cakes, but you can use whatever jam you like.  Strawberry would probably be stellar.  Topping it all off is a fluffy peanut butter buttercream frosting.  I could literally eat this frosting with a spoon … I’m just saying.  These are seriously tasty and if you love bananas and peanut butter you MUST try them!

Jam Filled Banana Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting     Yield 12

For the cupcakes:
2 medium ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
1/2 cup buttermilk
4 tablespoons butter, melted
1 egg
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup grape jam, or preferred flavor

For the frosting:
8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, softened
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
3 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup milk, plus more if needed

Heat the oven to 350 F and line a 12 cup muffin pan with paper liners.

In a medium bowl combine the mashed bananas and buttermilk until smooth.   Add the butter, egg, and vanilla and mix until well combined.

In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt until well mixed.

Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until no large lumps of flour remain.

Scoop the batter evenly between the paper liners and bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until the cakes are golden brown and spring back when gently pressed in the center.  Cool in the pan for three minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.  (I used bakery muffin liners that do not require a pan)

Jam Filled Banana Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting

Once the cakes are cooled completely take a small paring knife and poke it into the center of the cupcake in a cross pattern about 1 inch deep.  Take a pastry bag fitted with a small star tip and fill it with the jam.  Press the tip into the cross and pipe in about one tablespoon of jam.  Clean off the tops of the cupcakes before frosting.

Jam Filled Banana Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting Jam Filled Banana Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting Jam Filled Banana Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting

To prepare the frosting cream together the butter and peanut butter until well combined.  Add in the powdered sugar and half the milk and mix until smooth, fluffy and your desired piping consistency.  (I used the full 1/4 cup of milk.)

Jam Filled Banana Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting

Jam Filled Banana Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting

© 2011, Evil Shenanigans – Baking & Cooking Blog. All rights reserved.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

69 Responses to “Jam Filled Banana Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting”

1. Peanut butter and banana is the best combo ever!

2. RavieNomNoms says:

Oh my goodness those seriously are just amazing! I love this! I would never have even thought to do this but it is so cool and I bet it tastes fantastic!

3. Oh MY! OH MY! OH MY!!!! I think I need to gush about these… absolutely beautiful pics, cupcakes to die for (and I’m not a cupcake person…) and frosting that looks just perfect. Well done!! I’ve printed the recipe and I’m thinking my daughter won’t take long to beg to make these.

4. These might just make me a cupcake fan! Great combo. Theresa

5. Joy says:

Yum, this looks wonderful.

6. Looks delicious! I also love those cupcake wrappers – where did you buy them?

MarmandeintheKitchen – They are from Japan and I got them from a store in California.

8. i guess all i’m wondering is how do i get one in front of my hungry face ASAP? these are AMAZING!

9. Wow – these look divine! I am a lover of cupcakes, and now I am regretting that I made banana bread last night and not cupcakes!!!

10. I am SO saving this peanutbutter icing recipe and using it on cupcakes… Maybe I’ll made an ODE to Reeses or something. Looks awesome!!

11. Now that’s what I’m talking about!! Heaven on a plate!

12. Oh my. Heavenly doesn’t even begin to describe it!

13. Kankana says:

i am craving for this now .. it looks delicious !!

14. Evan Thomas says:

Great recipe! I want :-)

15. Felice says:

Wow, these look amazing. I just love your piping and the photos. Those liners look like a wonderful invention. I would love to not have to use a tin to cook them in.

16. sweet road says:

MMMM these look delicious, I could use a cupcake right now! And banana cakes/bread tend to be a bit more dense than other cakes, I love that!

These look heavenly!

18. Taylor says:

Its like a PB and J in a cupcake! Amazing!

19. I saw on Twitter that your husband’s coworkers didn’t know if they wanted to try these! How bizarre! Pack ‘em up and ship ‘em over here, I’ll eat a whole dozen! Yum :)

20. Kita says:

everything about this post is just yum. These look beautiful, sound like they taste amazing and make me want to go purchase some bananas soon.

21. B-egg says:

Your photos are beautiful! I love your recipe and also your cupcakes’s cases.

22. B-egg says:

Your photos are beautiful. I like your recipe as many as your cupcake’s cases

23. Elizabeth M says:

This sound yummy! I think I would like to try substituting Nutella for the peanut butter since that’s my favorite with bananas.

24. Medeja says:

They look greater than great :) Pictures are so tempting, so is the recipe :)

25. Peggy says:

How could you go wrong with that winning combo? This looks amazing!

26. Roxan says:

I do love banana cupcakes. I’d put extra huge dollops of jam in them!

27. Carolyn Jung says:

My favorite flavors all in one. Though, of course, I would have to scarf off the frosting from the top first. ;)

28. Heather says:

You don’t have to tell me twice!

29. mai says:

OMG! amazing goodness! where did you get the muffin liner from?

30. Lauren says:

These look phenomenal! Great flavor combination – pretty much a dessert version of a tasty sandwich :).

31. These look amazing! I think I’d have to make them with strawberry jam… That is my favorite for PB&J. And, I love the paper muffin cups that you used. They are so pretty!

32. Tiffany says:

Would it be too gluttonous of me to just make the pb buttercream and eat it from the bowl??!?!? :)

33. Tammy says:

Oh my goodness you have a wonderful site!
    This is a great way to use up bananas! You have gorgeous photos!
    xx,
    Tammy

34. Isabelle says:

Banana cupcakes are pretty damn awesome, but adding PB & J to the mix? Pure genius. (I don’t like PB all that much, but I’d happily eat PB icing by the bowlful if I could… go figure.)
    As it happens, I was just looking at a bunch of overripe bananas in my fruit bowl and trying to decide what I should make with them… looks like the fates have spoken!

35. briarrose says:

Wonderfully creative cupcake. I love the combination of flavors. PB&J in cupcake form….an instant win. ;)

36. Shanon says:

My, oh my!

Some of my favorite things-all together in a great combination. I think my nephews would go crazy for these (considering the 3-year-old is going through a weird eating phase where he will only eat PB&J…). I am definitely going to have to give these a try!

37. Deliciousness!! Congrats on the top 9!

38. sippitysup says:

Congrats on Top 9! I buzzed ya. GREG

39. Just when I thought banana bread couldn’t get better! I bet nutella would be incredible in these…

BTW, love the name of your blog!!! :)

40. These are gorgeous! I love the idea of combining peanut, jam, and banana in a muffin! And wherever did you get the muffin liners? Those are such a great idea.

41. Laura says:

Where did you get those adorable paper cupcake cups?

42. What a perfect combination! Congrats on the Top 9 today!!!

43. alyce says:

Photos are really nice and these cupcakes sound incredible!

44. Food Frenzy says:

Yum…great idea. Congrats on the Top 9.

We invite you to share this post and some of your favorite posts on Food Frenzy.
    Please check out our community.

45. irena says:

Lovely recipe, beautiful photos and deco:)

46. Tracey says:

Love these! Where did you get the cupcake baking molds, those are very cool!

47. I have some over ripe bananas sitting on my counter right now. I think this recipe is begging me to make it. Thanks for the post! Your pictures have me almost tasting them.

48. s. stockwell says:

We are always a sucker for your delicious CCs. Best from Santa Barbara.

49. Oh my!! This looks soo good, there goes my diet!

50. Michelle says:

What a delicious take on a favorite sandwich. :)

1. Tweets that mention Jam Filled Banana Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog -- Topsy.com - February 16, 2011

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Oxford Falls, Evil Shenanigans, Evil Shenanigans, Paula, hungrybuds and others. hungrybuds said: Jam Filled Banana Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting: Oh how I love overripe bananas. I do not often have them… http://bit.ly/eQolzb [...]

2. Tasty Peanut Butter Frosting Jam Filling Banana Cupcakes - February 16, 2011

[...] Recipe & Photo courtesy of Evil Shenanigans- Baking & Cooking [...]

3. The Weekend Dish: 2/19/2011 | Brown Eyed Baker - February 18, 2011

[...] Jam Filled Banana Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting (Evil Shenanigans) These sound like one of the most amazing concoctions I have ever come across. I want to make them immediately! [...]

4. [Banana] Peanut Butter & Jelly Cupcakes « Teacher by Day – Chef by Night - March 1, 2011

[...] – when does this not happen!?). The Neelys were making Peanut Butter & Jelly Cupcakes and Evil Shenanigans had posted jelly filled banana cupcakes with peanut butter frosting… it was a sign: I had to [...]

5. salted peanut and raspberry cupcakes | chocolate covered chinos - March 27, 2011

[...] For the frosting (adapted from Evil Shenanigans) [...]

6. A Foodie Affair » Blog Archive » Banana PB&J Cupcakes - July 23, 2011

[...] and jam. I saw a great recipe for Jam Filled Banana Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting from Evil Shenanigans blog and thought I would try them. The cupcakes on the blog are made from scratch. I wanted to make [...]

7. Want To Win Me Over? Make Me A Cupcake | Lady and the Blog - May 25, 2012

[...] JAM FILLED BANANA CUPCAKES WITH PEANUT BUTTER FROSTING [...]

8. Jam Filled Banana Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting - January 15, 2013

[...] Find the recipe at :  http://www.evilshenanigans.com [...]

9. Jam-filled Banana Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting - Cupcake Recipes For Everyone - January 1, 2014

[...] Jam-filled Banana Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting recipe via evilshenanigans.com [...]

10. Busy Being Jennifer | 27 Peanut Butter and Jelly Recipes! - April 2, 2014