Pecan Chocolate Chip Gooey Butter Cake

Oh baby, it is COLD outside!

Pecan Chocolate Chip Gooey Butter Cake

The Dallas area, and most areas in the Mid-west, are enduring what I am unofficially calling ‘Ice-pocalypse 2011′. Around the Evil Shenanigans homestead the temperatures hovering around 15 F, while ice and gusty winds have made travel and work nearly impossible.  When I get cooped up indoors during this kind of weather I tend to do some nesting.  I clean, putter around the house, read, and bake.  Since I am stuck at home, my driveway is a sheet of ice, I have to bake with what is on hand.  A well stocked pantry is this girl’s best friend, and this time around mine was very good to me.

Pecan Chocolate Chip Gooey Butter Cake

When I tell you these bars are gooey, I mean they are gooey!  The base is buttery and moist, but the topping is soft and very … well … gooey.  In terms of flavor, these bars taste very similar to pecan pie with a hint of cheesecake.  Just warm from the oven they are beyond words, and so rich you could easily have half a bar and be totally satisfied.  I let these bars stand overnight in an airtight container and I think they were better.  The flavors had mellowed and the bars set up nicely.  You could make the base of these chocolate if you like.  Just use the recipe for my Black and White Gooey Butter Cake base but cut it in half.

Pecan Chocolate Chip Gooey Butter Cake    Yield 16 bars

6 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 egg yolk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup crushed pecans
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Heat the oven to 350 F and spray an 8X8-inch pan with non-stick spray.  Line the pan with parchment paper, leaving two inches hanging over the sides, and spray the paper with non-stick spray.

Pecan Chocolate Chip Gooey Butter Cake Pecan Chocolate Chip Gooey Butter Cake

In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and brown sugar until well blended.  Add in the butter, egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and mix until smooth.

Pecan Chocolate Chip Gooey Butter Cake Pecan Chocolate Chip Gooey Butter Cake

Turn the batter out into the pan and press it evenly into the pan.  It will be quite thick.

Pecan Chocolate Chip Gooey Butter Cake Pecan Chocolate Chip Gooey Butter Cake

In the same bowl beat together the cream cheese, corn syrup, vanilla, butter, brown sugar, salt, egg, and flour until smooth and lighter in color.  Fold in the pecans and chocolate chips.

Pecan Chocolate Chip Gooey Butter Cake Pecan Chocolate Chip Gooey Butter Cake

Carefully spread the topping over the base and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the filling is puffed and the edges are set, but the center is just a little wobbly.  Cool completely in the pan.  Use the parchment to remove the bars from the pan and slice.

Pecan Chocolate Chip Gooey Butter Cake

Pecan Chocolate Chip Gooey Butter Cake

© 2011, Evil Shenanigans – Baking & Cooking Blog. All rights reserved.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

41 Responses to “Pecan Chocolate Chip Gooey Butter Cake”

1. These are pure evil… I am totally craving them! I’m really regretting my decision to cut back on sugary treats right now.

2. MichellePC says:

Oh man. These look PERFECT for a day like today!

3. Heather I. says:

No better excuse to bake indulgent treats than freezing weather! I’ve always wanted to try a gooey butter cake. That looks sinful and delish!

4. Felice says:

The weather has been so crazy in the mainland right now, but it is perfect baking weather. I think you have covered all the bases here in ooey gooey goodness. It is such a died-and-went to-heaven dessert with the combination of a buttery base and a topping that tastes similar to a pecan pie with a hint of cheesecake.

5. Michelle says:

Oh, I am so tired of cold and ice and snow! These gooey beauties could get me through the day though. They look amazing!

6. Evan Thomas says:

Oh my word. Anything with the word gooey butter cake can do no wrong.

7. Isabelle says:

These look downright sinful.. but then again, how can anything with the words “gooey” and “butter” and “cake” in its name possibly be anything else?
    Too bad the storm wasn’t as bad here. I wouldn’t mind being cooped up indoors for a while, so long as it meant having an an excuse to try this recipe. :)

8. Gooey is exactly what this day needs. After shoveling the driveway I could use a whole pan of your cake.

9. Mike says:

Simply amazing. Those look unreal!

10. All of your derivations from the original look so wonderful but it’s weird, I’m just craving a plain old fashioned gooey butter cake. Maybe it’s the childhood memories that are a stronger pull? But I appreciate the reminder cause once I get one of those under (literally!) my belt…I’ll be ready to try this one!

11. Miss says:

My goodness gracious, what a dessert!

12. Your pantry really did serve you well! I wish a had some of these right now; I just got home from work after a long and snowy commute.

13. Oh my yum! If the Ice-popcalypse causes you to dream up delicious baked goods like this, then let it snow, let it snow, let it snow! :)

14. Becky says:

Whoa! These look divine! They are most definitely going on my short list.

15. Gooey butter cake would really make me forget about this blizzard! Yummmm..those bars look so good!

16. vtkitchen says:

omg, these look amazing. i don’t think i’ve ever seen bars like this. i’m kind of glad you had the day off =)
    what are you guys going to do when you run out of food though? is the ice storm expected to last much longer? is your whole city shut down?

17. Medeja says:

They looks wonderful! from the pictures I have no doubt that they are amazingly delicious :)

18. Anna says:

Oh, good lord. You are a mad evil genius. Marry me?

19. Sherlly says:

Yummy! delish, delish, delish! Going to have to do this ^_^

20. Oh girl, you’ve done it again. Yowsers!! Looks AMAZING!!

21. Wendy says:

I SOOOO need a Snow Day so I have an “excuse” to make these ;) YUUUUMMM!!

22. briarrose says:

Who could resist a recipe that has gooey in the title? ;) These look so rich and lovely.

23. Memoria says:

A well-stocked pantry is ANY gender’s best friend!! There has been 4-6 feet of snow around where I am now, so I know how you feel. These little cakes look so tempting!! I wish I had these instead of the snickerdoodle dough I have waiting in the fridge. YUM!

24. Natalie says:

DANG those look good! Totally evil. I’ve never had your famous gooey butter cake. I need to. Soon!

25. You’re evil… evil, I tell you! These look amazin’!

26. Joy says:

This is such a great recipe. I love the base cake recipe.

27. Brittany says:

These look delicious! I am printing this to add to my recipe notebook!

28. Our well stocked pantry didn’t help me much. We lost our grounding line during the ice storm so not only was I without computer or tv but I could only use the basics on my stove a few times a day and hope it didn’t get a flux in the power that blew out what little high tech stuff it has.

29. Ooh yum! I’d gladly be locked in my home with a panful of these :)

30. Tiffany says:

Gooey, sweet, and delicious! My kinda cake!

31. could i double this and bake in a 9 x 13 with no problems?

32. Hannah says:

Cannot wait to try these!!!

33. Jenni says:

I made these yesterday and they turned out great! I even took a picture to post on my blog.

I’ve just discovered your site….lots of great recipes to try.

34. Cupcake Trainee says:

These look so good! Im gonna get fat if I keep reading your blog, but these I have to try!

35. Monica says:

Just made these yesterday! Super easy to make, and they tasted phenomenal! Although I think I’ll cut back on the chocolate chips next time as I thought they were a bit too overwhleming for the pecans

1. Tweets that mention Pecan Chocolate Chip Gooey Butter Cake | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog -- Topsy.com - February 2, 2011

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Evil Shenanigans, Evil Shenanigans and hungrybuds, Susan Rice. Susan Rice said: Pecan Chocolate Chip Gooey Butter Cake: Oh baby, it is COLD outside! The Dallas area, and most areas in the Mi… http://bit.ly/g3yweQ […]

2. Week 93 (February 15th – February 21st) « Documenting every day of my 25th year and beyond - February 19, 2011

[…] Don’t lick the screen! http://www.evilshenanigans.com/2011/02/pecan-chocolate-chip-gooey-butter-cake/ […]

3. Flower Water – SF « Bakers, Bicoastal - February 21, 2011

[…] stuck.  Not between my teeth (ha), but in my head.  Lately, I can’t stop thinking about this, this and this.  But mostly, I’ve been dreaming about this Persian love […]

4. Pecan Chocolate Chip Gooey Butter Bars - March 17, 2011

[…] Source: Evil Shenanigans […]

5. 50 Best Chocolate Recipes on the Internet « Dessert « - November 3, 2011

[…] Pecan Chocolate Chip Gooey Butter Cake […]

6. Pecan Chocolate Chip Gooey Butter Cake | The Spiffy Cookie - November 30, 2011

[…] step-by-step photos, check out the originator of this recipe, Kelly at Evil […]