Shredded Beef Sliders with Carrot Apple Slaw

I think the best way to cook a beef roast is in the slow cooker.

Shredded Beef Sliders with Apple Carrot Slaw
I love that I can spend about ten minutes puttering in the kitchen, then I sit back for eight hours and, as if by magic, I have a pot of juicy, tender, wonderfully flavorful beef.  Speaking of beef, this is my second in a series of four recipes brought to you by the Texas Beef Council*.  Shredded beef is one of those go-to dishes for me since I can use it in all sorts of dishes from tacos to stir-fry.  This time out I opted for some little shredded beef sliders topped with a tangy and crisp slaw.

Shredded Beef Sliders with Apple Carrot Slaw

There is a fair amount of spice in the braising aromatics, but the beef itself is not terribly hot.  The edges of the beef have a distinct kick, but once the beef is thoroughly shredded and mixed the heat becomes very mild.  I decided to strain off the braising liquid for a quick BBQ sauce.  It is sweet, tangy and spicy and a little drizzle goes a long way.  Topping it all off is some cool, crisp slaw.  My slaw is simple, but it packs some flavor.  What I like most is the addition of tart apple.  I think it cuts the richness of the meat, making the sliders easy to eat.

Shredded Beef Sliders with Carrot Apple Slaw    Serves 8

2 cups braising liquid from beef, strained
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup ketchup
2 teaspoons dry mustard powder
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper, optional

16 Slider buns, or 8 standard sized buns

In a large skillet over medium high heat add the vegetable oil.  While the oil heats season all sides of the roast with salt and pepper.  Once the oil shimmers add the roast and brown it thoroughly on all sides, between 3-5 minutes per side.

Shredded Beef Sliders with Apple Carrot Slaw Shredded Beef Sliders with Apple Carrot SlawShredded Beef Sliders with Apple Carrot Slaw

While the roast browns add the onions, garlic, jalapenos, chipotles, sugar,all the spices, and the bacon to the slow cooker.  Place the browned roast on top of the vegetable mixture.  Add the beef broth to the skillet and bring it to a simmer, scraping the brown bits off the bottom of the pan.  Pour the broth into the slow cooker.

Shredded Beef Sliders with Apple Carrot Slaw

Cook the roast on low for 8 hours, or until the roast is falling apart tender.  Allow to cool for two hours in the broth before removing from the slow cooker and shredding.

Shredded Beef Sliders with Apple Carrot SlawShredded Beef Sliders with Apple Carrot SlawShredded Beef Sliders with Apple Carrot Slaw

While the beef cools prepare the slaw.  In a large bowl combine the mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar, salt, and pepper until well combined and smooth.  Add the shredded cabbage, carrots, and apples and toss until thoroughly coated.  Cover with plastic and chill for at least one hour.

Shredded Beef Sliders with Apple Carrot Slaw

Once the beef has cooled strain two cups of the liquid into a medium pot.  Add the sugar, ketchup, mustard powder, and red pepper and bring to a simmer.  Cook until reduced by 1/3,  about twenty minutes.  The sauce should be fairly thin.

Shredded Beef Sliders with Apple Carrot Slaw

To assemble place the shredded beef on the bun, drizzle with sauce, and top with slaw.

Shredded Beef Sliders with Apple Carrot Slaw

Shredded Beef Sliders with Apple Carrot Slaw

*Evil Shenanigans Product Review Policy and Disclosure- The Texas Beef Council is providing me with a monetary stipend for providing this recipe.   Any opinion expressed is my own and is not influenced in any way by the manufacturer/PR firm.  I only review products that I have personally tested and endorse.

© 2011, Evil Shenanigans – Baking & Cooking Blog. All rights reserved.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

31 Responses to “Shredded Beef Sliders with Carrot Apple Slaw”

1. Tiffany says:

Great post, love your mouth watering photos!

2. This looks GOOD! I agree – beef roast in the crockpot is the way to go.

3. Yum! that looks so delicious! I wish I had one now!

4. RavieNomNoms says:

Amazing, I really enjoy sliders. They are so perfect for entertaining people

I am loving the slaw! Nice touch!

6. Me oh my, your photos are mouthwatering and this recipe looks wonderful! Sliders are one of my favorite, and funnest, things to make – and devour! – and these look just perfect for lunch, dinner or a party with friends. Thanks for sharing!

7. OMG… I want… NOW! Yet another awesome recipe for me to try on my slow cooker, which I’ve never used before, haha! Thank you so much for sharing! This meal is very balanced and delicious-looking :-)

8. I love my slow cooker as well, we use it for so many things. Your recipe looks delicious and the apple carrot slaw is just great! Thanks!

9. Kita says:

Oh this looks like heaven! I am in need of a few new beef tricks, I can’t wait to try this (I too love my slow cooking magic elves).

10. Oh that slaw sounds so good! I would probably slide off the beef and eat up the carrots and apples… perfect topping!

11. rose says:

Where have you been all my life?

12. jenny says:

are you using a cooking bag inside of your slow-cooker?

13. Yum! I love these little gorgeous bites of deliciousness! The carrot-apple slaw is an excellent addition, too. Love the crunch and sweetness it lends to the hearty beef. :-)

14. Artizone says:

Apple in slaw over shredded beef sounds divine! Where do you get your beef from?

15. Jean says:

The slaw is perfect with the sliders, sweet and a little tart, yum!

16. I love shredded beef, and I always make the same cole slaw to go with it… I have to try this carrot apple slaw. It sounds just amazing!

17. These look great. A wonderful Sunday dinner in a pot to simmer in the afternoon with leftovers for the rest of the week.

Congrats on Top 9.

Stuart

18. Love how these look & sound! I think this will be dinner one night this week! Thank you!

I am new blogger & I love your blog! Inspirational! :)

Congrats on making Top 9!

19. Michelle says:

Looks wonderful. I love shredded meat sandwiches when they’re topped with slaw. THat crunch adds so much to an already delicious sandwich. Bet this is delicious.

20. Great post, very enticing recipe. The pictures are great. Really like the Carrot Apple Slaw recipe and imagine how delicious it must be on top of the beef. Thank you for sharing.

21. I LOVE my slow cooker. One of the best inventions of all time. And look at what yummy stuff it makes!! This looks just too darn good.

22. Erin A. says:

Yumm! I made some delicious spinach feta turkey sliders this week and created cheese stuffed turkey burger sliders with bacon and posted on my blog today, with an avocado dressing. SO good.

Next up…going to try these!

23. I love nothing more than a good bbq and slaw sandwich! I may have to bust out my crockpot SOOON! And that slaw looks sooo good. I’ve never tried apples before. :)

24. eva says:

I have made this three times already- and I am making it again tonight!
    Flawless-

25. julia says:

This is such a great summer meal too, no oven required. And the slaw makes it so refreshing! Gorgeous pics, pinned it!

26. These look delicious. Texas Beef Council is one of my favorite websites for meat recipes as well as recipes for rubs and marinades.

27. baddogmaybel says:

Made these last night- they were delicious. I added a chocolate stout to the crock pot but otherwise followed the beef recipe pretty closely and I liked how spicy they were.

28. pammalammadingdong says:

This recipe is the best. I have made it a dozen times and it’s always good. Great for feeding a crowd. As my one friend said upon tasting, “I’ll never eat BBQ without slaw on it again!”

29. lilian says:

just made it today … thumbs up from the whole family. i’d had to wing it with some of the ingredients as i couldn’t find everything listed in my little corner of Germany.
    great recipe. thanks for sharing! :D

1. Saturday Surfing- | - March 5, 2011

[…] Shredded Beef Sliders with Carrot Apple Slaw […]

2. Shredded Beef Sliders with Carrot Apple Slaw | Pass The Sushi! - March 8, 2011

[…] From Evil Shenani­gans […]