Chocolate Banana Bread

I’m a bad baker.

Chocolate Banana Bread

Over the weekend I discovered, much to my shock and horror, that I had run out of butter.  It does not happen often and I actually buy two or three pounds at a time as to have plenty on hand at all times.   When I do run out I usually discover it while in the middle of baking something and it honestly makes me feel a little edgy.  For the most part butter is my fat of choice for baking, but in cake baking oil can be a better option.  Yes, butter is the gold medal winner in the flavor department, but because it is solid at room temperature it can give some cooled cakes and quick breads a slightly rubbery mouth feel.   So, when I ran out of butter while re-testing this recipe, because I hated the texture, I decided to go with canola oil.  It made all the difference!

Chocolate Banana Bread

My favorite thing about this cake is the coffee.  Rather than use water or milk I went with very strong coffee.  I had hopped it would punch up the chocolate flavor, but what I did not anticipate was how the slight bitterness of the coffee would bring out the fruity banana.  The texture of the bread is very tender thanks to the oil, and extremely moist due to the bananas.  I believe this cake improves with a little time, so make it the night before you plant to serve it so the flavors can develop.  Kept in an airtight container it will last for as many as four days and still be ridiculously moist.

Chocolate Banana Bread        Serves 8-12

1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
2 eggs, at room temperature
1 egg yolk
3 ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 cup very strong coffee, at room temperature

Heat the oven to 350 F and prepare 1 10-inch loaf pan (or 6 mini-loaf pans) with non-stick spray.

Chocolate Banana Bread Chocolate Banana Bread

In a medium bowl cream together the sugar and oil until smooth.  The mixture will be slightly crumbly.  Add in the eggs and egg yolk and mix until lighter in color, about three minutes.

Chocolate Banana Bread Chocolate Banana Bread

Add the mashed banana and stir to combine.  Sift the flour, cocoa, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, and baking powder into the bowl and mix until most of the dry ingredients are moist.  Stir in the coffee and vanilla and mix until all the dry ingredients are moist.  The batter will have some small lumps.

Chocolate Banana Bread

Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pans and bake for 45 to 55 minutes for a single loaf, 35 to 45 for smaller loafs, or until the center springs back when gently pressed.   Cool for thirty minutes in the pan before turning out on a rack to cool completely.

Chocolate Banana Bread

Chocolate Banana Bread

© 2011, Evil Shenanigans – Baking & Cooking Blog. All rights reserved.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

32 Responses to “Chocolate Banana Bread”

1. Oh my word, please send me this now. I am in desperate need of a chocolate fix!

2. that looks so moist and delicious! great choice with using the coffee – its a fave trick of mine as well to bring out that amazing chocolate flavor!

3. This looks delicious! I like how you’ve fine-turned a standard recipe to make it that much better than the original. I’ll have to try replacing butter with canola oil in some of my recipes to see what kind of changes it yields!

4. Yu! just simply Yummy! Chocolate banana cake, why didn;t I think of that! Thanks!

5. Karly says:

That looks so yummy! I just made a chocolate bread this morning and was wishing I had some bananas to toss in there!

6. Excellent swap! I always love loaves made with oil because they are so moist. This cake looks delicious!

7. COFFEE makes chocolate so much better! I don’t drink it, but I’m such a fan of the way it amplifies chocolate flavor in things.

8. I’m definitely with you about the wonders that oil can do for baked goods. This banana bread looks as moist as can be!

9. Lauren says:

Oh I have to try this. I absolutely LOVE banana bread. I usually just put chocolate chips in it but this sounds so much more incredible. Thanks for sharing.

10. Lynn says:

This looks SO delicious! Can’t wait to try it! (Maybe I’ll throw in a few nuts just because I love ‘em!)

11. Shannon says:

This looks so incredibly wonderful. When I find that I’ve run out of butter I have a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach, like I just lost my purse or something.

12. Elyse says:

I just saw a chocolate chip banana bread and now your chocolate banana bread! This is awesome! I’m going to be eating a lot of banana bread this weekend… :)

13. Aside from the coffee, the Mocha Acolytes would be shaking their heads, this sounds like a definite improvement on the last recipe. I agree that different types of fat are more appropriate for certain types of baking or cooking.

14. If you’re a bad baker, then I don’t want to be good!

I buy butter 3 pounds (or more) at a time, too. I swear people stare at me in the grocery store for it.

I can’t wait to try this–I have some bananas ripe ‘n ready!

15. Hello choco-nana goodness! I’m guilty of hoarding butter too. I think the people staring at us in the grocery store are just jealous :)

16. Butter is usually my first choice too, so I am excited to try this recipe. It looks so moist and delicious. And it has coffee too, so I am in heaven.

17. Sylvia says:

This looks amazing! I think this is THE ONE I’ll be baking tonight! Love that you added coffee to bring out the choco taste..
    I have a feeling this is going to be amazing :)

18. briarrose says:

Chocolate and banana….man that looks good.

19. Banana bread makes a regular appearance in my kitchen… My hubby prefers chocolate chips in his, so I’m sure he’ll love this version. The addition of coffee sounds just perfect!

20. Molly says:

This looks sooooo delicious! I can’t wait to try it! I would love it if you would check out my website too! It has a lot of food-related topics and it would be great to get your feedback… here is the link if you are interested:
    [Link Removed]

21. Jaime says:

Totally making this – looks and sounds delish – thanks for the recipe.

22. Cara says:

So delicious! My boys called it “brownie bread”….glad I made a double recipe because it is going fast :)

23. Chocolate, banana and coffee? That’s the trifecta of ingredients. I can’t imagine anyone not liking it, even if they aren’t huge banana or coffee fans. The three flavors must taste wonderful together.

24. Lana says:

I made your Chocolate Banana Bread on Sunday, with my girls making faces at the sight of the black frozen bananas I dragged from the depths of the freezer. Husband was skeptical, but I knew the success was just around the corner. It was wonderful! And my kids do not like banana bread (WTF?)!They ate it as a snack that day, for breakfast on Monday, and even took it to school for lunch!
    I posted the iPhone pic to @LATimesFood #weekendeats on Twitter, with a link to your blog and a lot of people asked me for a recipe. I sent them all your way grateful, as you brought old bananas back to life with a dessert that can please everyone.
    Looking forward to trying more goodies from your blog:)

25. Jessica says:

Big fan of banana bread, but I’ve never had it with chocolate. This looks great and my coffee loving husband would be thrilled at the idea of baking with coffee. I want to make this next time we have guests!

26. Jacki says:

I blogged your recipe here, in MUFFIN form! They are so delicious! Thanks for such a great recipe! I suspect you’re a genius! Can’t wait for your cookbook!

27. Sabine says:

Yum! I tried a chocolate carrot cake cupcake (with cream cheese frosting!) the other day; since I really want to try a chocolate banana and a chocolate zucchini bread. They all sound so delicious!

28. Sharlene says:

I just got done making this. I doubled the recipe and did it all by hand. I had an oops moment and added the sugar to the dry ingredients but I forged ahead and I don’t think the finished product suffered any from my little mistake.

Thank you so much for sharing. I’m taking these babies (muffins) to the office with me in the morning.

29. Diane says:

I made this recipe using BUTTER ( gasp) , because I had no oil anywhere in the kitchen! This bread is delicious!!!! I also used three whole eggs too. It made one loaf and six muffins. It is very moist even though butter was used and I detected no rubbery texture( I didn’t over mix the batter, which usually causes tough texture in quick breads).

30. Jessie says:

I made this with butter (didn’t have oil) and I added Reese’s peanut butter chips into 8 mini loafs AND it turned out AMAZING! Super moist and rich. I will be baking this recipe in the future for sure. Thank you for sharing!

31. Teresa says:

This reminded me of our black magic cake recipe which we love, because of the coffee! so I tried it and everyone likes it! more like cake then banana bread, which is a good thing lol