Five-Spice Beef Stir-Fry

There was a cooking program that I used to love called Simply Magic.

Five-Spice Beef Stir-Fry

It is an Australian cooking show presented by Kylie Kwong and it features Chinese food.  Her recipes are healthy, made with fresh ingredients, and they are attainable in a home kitchen.  Needless to say… I adore her.  It was while watching her show that I saw a recipe for Chicken Fillets with Honey and Ginger.  I made them the very next day and they were wonderful.  So good in fact I made them for my Taiwanese mother-in-law who enjoyed them very much.  I did wonder, however, how the recipe would taste with beef.

Five-Spice Beef Stir-Fry

And so, for my third Texas Beef Council* recipe, I give you my beefy adaptation of Kylie’s dish.  For the chicken I used some lean round steak.  I love round steak for stir-fry since it packs a lot of flavor and stays tender after cooking.  The marinade is sweet and savory, and as the beef cooks the marinade thickens and caramelizes into a sticky glaze.  I added some vegetables to my dish in the form of onions, carrots, and tender snow peas for balance, and visual appeal.  Serve this on some freshly cooked rice and you have a crowd-pleasing dinner!

Five-Spice Beef Stir-Fry     Serves 4

1 tablespoon minced ginger
1/2 pound fresh snow peas
2 teaspoons light soy sauce
2 cups cooked white or brown rice
4 tablespoons green onions, sliced

Five-Spice Beef Stir-Fry Five-Spice Beef Stir-Fry Five-Spice Beef Stir-Fry

Slice the steak into very thin strips, no thicker than 1/4-inch, making sure to cut the strips against the grain.  Set aside.  In a plastic bag mix together the honey, soy sauce, shao hsing wine (or sherry), ginger, oyster sauce, sriracha, orange juice, five-spice, and sesame oil.  Add the thinly cut beef and massage to be sure all the beef is well coated.  Refrigerate for two hours, or overnight.

Five-Spice Beef Stir-Fry Five-Spice Beef Stir-Fry

Once the beef has marinated heat a wok, or large skillet, over medium-high heat.  Add 1 tablespoon of the oil and heat until it shimmers.  Add half the beef and allow to sear for thirty seconds before stirring.  Cook until the beef is brown, about 1 minute, then remove from the pan.  Add the remaining beef and cook until browned.  Return the first batch of beef to the wok and increase the heat to high.  Cook until the beef is coated in a sticky, caramelized glaze, about two minutes.  Remove the beef from the pan and rinse the wok.

Five-Spice Beef Stir-Fry Five-Spice Beef Stir-Fry Five-Spice Beef Stir-Fry Five-Spice Beef Stir-Fry

Return the wok to medium-high heat and add the remaining oil.  Heat until it shimmers and add the carrots and onions.  Cook, stirring constantly, until they begin to soften, about two minutes.  Add the ginger and garlic and cook for thirty seconds, or until fragrant.  Add the snow peas and the soy sauce and cook for two minutes, or until the snow peas are bright green and tender.  Add the beef to the wok and toss well.  Serve over cooked rice with green onions as a garnish.

Five-Spice Beef Stir-Fry

Five-Spice Beef Stir-Fry

*Evil Shenanigans Product Review Policy and Disclosure- The Texas Beef Council is providing me with a monetary stipend for providing this recipe.   Any opinion expressed is my own and is not influenced in any way by the manufacturer/PR firm.  I only review products that I have personally tested and endorse.

© 2011, Evil Shenanigans – Baking & Cooking Blog. All rights reserved.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

36 Responses to “Five-Spice Beef Stir-Fry”

1. Natasha says:

That looks delicious. Kylie Kwong’s recipes are always fabulous.

Best wishes,
    Natasha.

2. We just had Beef Stir Fry tonight :-) Yours looks excellent!

3. Medeja says:

Looks like from restaurant, but Im sure tastes better than in any restaurant :)

4. This looks wonderful!!!!

5. I love stirfry and am always looking for new recipes. This looks awesome!

6. RavieNomNoms says:

I just had beef and broccoli this weekend which is SO similar to this! This looks wonderful!

7. brandi says:

Another reason I need a real wok :)

8. Adriana says:

This looks so good! It is never a good idea to browse food blogs an hour before lunch time. My stomach growls in approval! Which is a better substitute for the oyster sauce, extra soy or fish sauce? Thanks!

9. Kath says:

This looks absolutely amazing! I stumbled it so I can find it in my favorites later.

@brandi: Our Chinese friend, from China, says you don’t need a wok – a large cast iron skillet works just as well.

Kath – My mother-in-law never uses a wok … I use mine because it was a very expensive gift. :)

11. This looks absolutely good enough to eat (funny how that works). Beautiful and colorful pictures too!

12. Beautiful pictures! I love stir-fry, but I never seem to use beef, only chicken! Great recipe – I want to try it :)

13. This recipe is a perfect opportunity for me to satisfy this strong craving that I’ve had for Chinese lately. And….wow…The photo of your final dish jumps right off the page! AMAZING!

14. Lauren says:

I just made stir fry with tofu last night. It was great, but this post made me miss the beef! Looks delish :)

15. I wish computers offered scents and tastes!!!!

16. Peggy says:

This dish sounds fantastic! I just love the versatility of stir fry!

17. Ann Mary says:

What is sriracha?

18. This looks just wonderful! Great recipe, thanks for sharing it.

19. This is sure to make an appearance on my dinner table! Wow! Top 9 #1- yeah baby!! Well-deserved! ♥- Katrina

20. alyce says:

This looks sooo good. Congrats on your top 9!

21. What a delicious meal! I love the presentation, and the recipes are so clean and wholesome. :)

22. Liz says:

Beautiful AND delicious!!!

23. Oh, this looks great! I love stir-fry but I always struggle with what flavors to add… Definitely bookmarking this one.

24. Brittany says:

This looks delicious! I will be trying this soon!

25. JenE says:

Tried this tonight, w/ skirt steak… it looked and smelled beautiful but it was not a huge hit and we’re still trying to figure out why. Perhaps I would cut back on the 5 spice and a little less ginger too — maybe add a little more sweetness? I was so disappointed, I really thought I had a home run on my hands!

JenE – I am so sorry that you did not enjoy this recipe. You may want to add more honey, and maybe a little lime juice if you choose to make it again to punch up the sweetness and to add a little more acid.

27. Grace says:

Om Nom Nom….This looks sooo good! It has ALL the ingredients I love. Will definitely be making this one real soon! Great photos, btw.

28. Hello! I recently received the Stylish Blogger Award and am passing it on to you! I just love your blog and recipes, thanks for the interesting posts!

29. Maggie says:

Made this for my family and received great raves, this one will be served again. Thanks.

30. Great recipe! thats a nice wok is that nonstick? I have a carbon steel one. your pics are really good to. What kind of camera do you use? I need to get a better one. I think tonight when I get off of work I am going shopping to make this recipe. I have a Mexican supermarket down the road that has excellent flat steak that should do quite well for this.

31. KIM says:

Oh my goodness I am going to make this tonight…it looks so great and healthy

THanks I will let you know how it goes

32. Susan S says:

Hello Evil Shenanigans,
    I love your recipes and bookmarked this awhile ago. I want to make it for clients this week and saw one negative review. What do you think? Any suggestions or do you think made as written it is an awesome recipe?
    Thanks so much,
    Susan

1. Second week: not so good except for take to work lunch | Working Parents' Dinners - March 13, 2011

[...] have a chicken stirfry on deck using this recipe as a base if I can find five spice powder nearby: Five-Spice Beef Stir-Fry And I’m eyeing a few chicken recipes from the [...]

2. sweet & spicy beef stir fry « that's forking good - April 7, 2012

[...] meals I’ve cranked out lately was this awesome sweet and spicy beef stir fry (adapted from evil shenanigans). I toned back some of the heat because I’ve often turned perfectly good Asian meals inedible [...]

3. » What’s in Season – September & Recipe Round Up » - September 3, 2012