Grilled Peach and Vanilla Cake Trifle with Golden Syrup Whipped Cream

I guess you could say I have Georgia on my mind.

Grilled Peach and Vanilla Cake Trifle

It makes sense considering I was in Atlanta last weekend for BlogHer Food.  Now, I could use this space to discuss the actual event, but I don’t think it is necessary.  So many bloggers have posted their thoughts, Linda and Dianne for example, and I would rather share with you a craving that is directly linked to the conference.  During lunch on the first day we were served what can best be described as flabby hotel buffet food.  I suppose it came with the price of hosting the event at the hotel … that can be the only reason they served it to us.  On the dessert table there was a dish there that they called peach cobbler.  It was mushy, bland, processed peaches topped with a soggy crust.  It made me sad in my heart, and I decided that when I returned home I would make a dish that treated the peach with the respect it deserves.

Grilled Peach and Vanilla Cake Trifle

Peaches are my favorite fruit, but I only eat them when they are in season.  Yes, you CAN get peaches in the fall and winter, but they are hard, sour, and bland.  I prefer to wait and enjoy the robust peaches that can only be had when the weather turns warm.   Knowing peaches were the star I decided to prepare them in my favorite way – on the grill.  Grilling peaches gives them a soft, lush texture and punches up the natural sweetness.   Next I made a moist, buttery vanilla cake with a hint of cardamom. Cardamom gives the cake a subtle floral aroma that pairs well with the peaches.  To add another layer of flavor I made golden syrup whipped cream.  The caramel notes of the golden syrup give the whipped cream sweetness with out being cloying.  This dessert can be served right away, but, if you can be patient, a few hours in the refrigerator will allow the peachy juices to soak into the cake.  Trust me, you want that.

Grilled Peach and Vanilla Cake Trifle with Golden Syrup Whipped Cream      Serves 8

For the cake:

4 medium peaches, about 2 cups diced
2 teaspoons sugar

For the whipped cream:
2 cups heavy whipping cream, cold
3 tablespoons golden syrup
1 tablespoon powdered sugar

Heat the oven to 350 F and spray an 8-inch square pan with non-stick cooking spray.

Grilled Peach and Vanilla Cake Trifle Grilled Peach and Vanilla Cake Trifle

In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, brown sugar, cardamom, and vanilla beans until well combined.

Grilled Peach and Vanilla Cake Trifle Grilled Peach and Vanilla Cake Trifle Grilled Peach and Vanilla Cake Trifle

Add the butter, milk, sour cream, and beaten egg and whisk until the batter only has a few small lumps remaining.  Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the cake pulls away from the sides of the pan and springs back when gently pressed in the center.  Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the pan then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

Grilled Peach and Vanilla Cake Trifle Grilled Peach and Vanilla Cake Trifle

While the cake is baking prepare the peaches.  Slices the peaches into quarters and remove the pit.  Place the peaches in a medium bowl and add the sugar.  Toss to coat.

Grilled Peach and Vanilla Cake Trifle Grilled Peach and Vanilla Cake Trifle

Heat the grill to medium heat and spray with non-stick cooking spray.  Once hot place the peaches on the grill and cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until the peaches are starting to soften and have light grill marks.  Once grilled allow the peaches to cool to room temperature before removing the skins and roughly dicing the fruit.  Once grilled the skins should slip off easily.

Next, prepare the whipped cream.  In the work bowl of a stand mixer combine the cream, golden syrup, powdered sugar, and vanilla.  Whip on low speed until frothy then increase the speed to medium high and whip until the cream forms medium peaks.

Grilled Peach and Vanilla Cake Trifle

To assemble the trifle begin by cutting the cake into cubes.  The size of the cubes will depend on what you serve the trifle in.  For a large dish cut the cake into 1-inch cubes, for individual containers cut the cake into 1/2-inch cubes.  Begin by placing a layer of cake in the bottom of the dish.  Next add a layer of peaches, then top with a layer of whipped cream.  Repeat, ending with the whipped cream.  Garnish the top of the trifle with cake crumbs and a few pieces of peach, if desired.

Grilled Peach and Vanilla Cake Trifle

Grilled Peach and Vanilla Cake Trifle

© 2011, Evil Shenanigans – Baking & Cooking Blog. All rights reserved.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

40 Responses to “Grilled Peach and Vanilla Cake Trifle with Golden Syrup Whipped Cream”

1. Sommer J says:

There is alway a silver lining to eating crappy food- knowing you can make it 10x better. This looks absolutely amazing, I can not wait to try this. I really wish my husband was here to enjoy this with me. I think I can my lil ones into peach lovers with dish, though. Thanks for posting, been waiting for this one!

2. Lora says:

This is just gorgeous. Mouth watering flavors.

3. Valerie says:

Love your presentation, love your recipe and love your photo!! A success!!

4. Yum. There I’ve said it. Again. But it’s true! Though I grill my peaches outdoors which adds a bbq smokiness to them; I’m with you…just one of my most favorite things.

5. Parsley Sage says:

Oh man, you need to have crappy hotel food every weekend if its gonna spark these kinds of creations :) Well done!

6. Dianne Jacob says:

I wish this was on the table instead. As soon as the screen opened I moaned.

Thanks for the link.

7. Grilled fruit is heaven in the summer…love this fresh take on it!

8. Liz says:

Oh, boy, I can’t wait for peach season to arrive! I’ve never imagined a peach trifle, but now I want to make one. And with grilled peaches sounds heavenly. YUM!

9. Geez – if only THIS had been on the dessert table! What a lovely tribute to southern food :)

10. Love love grilled peaches! This sounds so delish and I love your presentation too.

11. Wow! What a gorgeous dessert! Grilling peaches really brings out a wonderful aroma and flavor. Thanks for sharing, wonderful photos! =]

12. I definitely cannot wait for peach season-they even have a peach festival around here every year. I never thought about making a trifle. Thanks for posting such a wonderful summer dessert.

13. I love grilled peaches! One of my favorite summertime desserts is to grill up peaches and granola in a foil packet, then top with vanilla ice cream. Yum!!

You have me craving that now.

14. I loooove grilled peaches! I want this. Now. I will dream about it until I make it!

15. This is absolutely gorgeous! I love grilled peaches, what a fabulous idea to incorporate them into a trifle. And a great takeaway from the conference. :-) It was lovely to meet you and your husband last weekend!

16. Paula says:

Oh my! I’ve never had grilled peaches, it would appear from these lovely photographs that I am seriously missing out on a wonderful treat!

17. Raven Elise says:

Quick! Go back to a hotel! Eat something with chocolate now! @_@

18. Chum-Chum says:

Love your recipe.. :)
    I want this!!.. :)

Congrats to top 9

19. Peggy says:

You had me at grilled peaches! I love love love this and can’t wait to try it out =)

20. What a beautiful dessert. I have added grilled peaches to salads – delish!!! I love your idea of a grilled peach trifle. That would be a hit at a party. Congrats on making Top 9. The photo makes this such an eye-pleasing and eye-catching dessert.

21. I have added grilled peaches to salads – delish!!! I love your idea of a grilled peach trifle. That would be a hit at a party. Congrats on making Top 9. Your photos makes this such an eye-pleasing and eye-catching dessert.

22. Erin says:

Beautiful and delicious looking!

23. Yuri says:

What a beautiful dessert! Love the grilled peaches, thanks for sharing :)

24. Amy says:

These are both beautiful and delicious sounding! Congrats on Top 9 today!

25. Cin says:

I too love peaches. Oooh this dessert is so perfect for warm weather and get out on the grill, and on to the whipped cream.

26. Tino says:

I made this for a few friends that came over last night and it came out PERFECTLY. Definitely going to make this again.

27. briarrose says:

I never thought to grill peaches….excellent idea. Beautiful individual trifles.

28. How cute, love the presentation. Grilled peaches sound excellent!

29. RavieNomNoms says:

Wow this is just simply gorgeous! Your pictures are so stunning, nice job!

30. Hooray! This is my favorite post-conference post :) This looks just incredible… I will be making it as soon as I can.

31. Obsessionist says:

The presentation here is absolutely perfect. Now if only someone would make this for me.

32. Patty H. says:

This looks both beautiful and delicious! I’ve never tried a peach cobbler or peach trifle of any kind, but now may be the chance!

33. jenny says:

wow, this looks so good, intrigued by the golden syrup whipped cream, must try!

34. cem says:

looks delicious and the presentation is excellent. must try this weekend:)

35. Cat says:

Made this on Saturday. It was amazing! I was wondering if frozen peaches would work. Peaches aren’t in season here, so the fresh ones I got were not as juicy and flavorful as they should have been.

1. Peach, Sour Cream, Walnut Cake Recipe: Healthy Gluten Free Breakfast — Family Fresh Cooking - June 11, 2011

[...] Grilled Peach and Vanilla cake Trifle with Golden Syrup Whipped Cream Evil Shenanigans [...]

2. Capital Confectioners | Blog | Quick Bites: Peachy Keen - July 18, 2011

[...] are three options for grilled peaches: Evil Shenanigans turns them into Grilled Peach and Vanilla Cake Trifle with Golden Syrup Whipped Cream, and Dessert for Two (a great blog that scales down desserts into smaller versions) serves Grilled [...]

3. Peach Cobbler « Harvest Fresh - November 7, 2011

[...] Grilled Peach and Vanilla Cake Trifle (with golden syrup whipped cream) [...]

4. Summer Fruit Trifles Recipe with Peaches, Cherries, and Blueberries — Andrea Meyers - August 1, 2012

[...] Evil Shenanigans – Grilled Peach and Vanilla Cake Trifle with Golden Syrup Whipped Cream [...]

5. Labor Day Recipe Ideas - June 10, 2014