Steak Salad with Poached Egg and Creamy Chive Dressing

What?  She made a salad?  Oh yes, she sure did!

Steak Salad with Poached Egg and Creamy Chive Dressing

Despite what some may think, I do enjoy a good salad.  That said, I am not a weeds and lemon juice kind of gal (no offense to those of you who are).  If you are going to feed me salad there are a few requirements that must be met (not that I am difficult to live with).  First, it has to be hearty.  Steak, chicken, eggs, or even beans are a must on a salad because I need protein to keep me full.  Second, it has to have a delicious dressing.  I will be honest when I say that plain greens do nothing for me.  I need dressing to keep my palate active and happy.  Finally, and by no means least, the salad needs a fresh bread element.  I will not even consider those sad croutons from the box.  Give me crostini or grilled artisan bread with my salad to add some crunch.

Steak Salad with Poached Egg and Creamy Chive Dressing

This salad makes a terrific meal during the warm summer months along with a frosty margarita or a cool glass of tea.  Despite the various components this salad can be made in under an hour from start to finish.  You could even cut that time slightly by making the dressing and eggs a day ahead.  To make the eggs in advance just poach them for 1 1/2 minutes, or until the whites are just set, then slide the eggs into a bowl of ice water.  Refrigerate the eggs overnight, then when you are ready to serve just slide the eggs into a bowl of hot, not boiling, water for 1 to 2 minutes.  They will be nicely warmed and cooked perfectly, if you like a seriously runny yolk … which I do.

Steak Salad with Poached Egg and Creamy Chive Dressing    Serves 4

1 small loaf ciabatta bread
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 very fresh eggs
1 teaspoon white vinegar
12 cups baby romain, or other mixed salad greens
4 strips thick cut bacon, cooked crisp and chopped

Steak Salad with Poached Egg and Creamy Chive Dressing Steak Salad with Poached Egg and Creamy Chive Dressing

Begin by preparing the dressing.  In a medium bowl combine all the ingredients for the dressing and mix well.  Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour, or up to one day ahead.

Steak Salad with Poached Egg and Creamy Chive DressingSteak Salad with Poached Egg and Creamy Chive Dressing

Next, prepare the steak.  In a small bowl combine the salt, pepper, brown sugar, mustard powder, and paprika until well mixed.  Rub the mixture into the steak and allow to stand, at room temperature, for 15 minutes.

While the steak is marinating prepare the bread.  Split the ciabatta bread in half and then cut into 4 equal pieces.  Brush the inside of the bread with olive oil.  If desired season with salt.

Grill the steak and the bread over medium high heat until the steak reaches your preferred level of doneness, and the bread is crisp and slightly charred.  For a medium steak you are looking for an internal temperature of 135 to 140, about 2 minutes per side.  Allow the steak to rest for 10 minutes loosely covered in foil, then slice the steak into thin strips against the grain of the meat.

Steak Salad with Poached Egg and Creamy Chive Dressing

While the steak rests poach the eggs.  Bring a wide pan filled 3-inches deep with water to a simmer over medium heat.  Add the vinegar and stir to combine.  Break the eggs, one at a time, into a small ramekin or dish.  Slide the eggs slowly into the simmering water.  Immediately turn the heat down to medium low and poach until the eggs are your preferred level of doneness.  For a very runny yolk poach for 2 minutes, for a firmer yolk poach for 3 to 4 minutes.  Remove the eggs from the water with a slotted spoon to drain, then slide the eggs onto a small plate while you dress the salad.

To build the salad first toss the romain with half the dressing until evenly coated.  Divide the salad among the plates.  Add the steak, poached egg, crumbled bacon, and grilled bread.

Steak Salad with Poached Egg and Creamy Chive Dressing

Serve immediately with the remaining dressing on the side for those who would like a little extra.

Steak Salad with Poached Egg and Creamy Chive Dressing

© 2011, Evil Shenanigans – Baking & Cooking Blog. All rights reserved.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

27 Responses to “Steak Salad with Poached Egg and Creamy Chive Dressing”

1. Artizone says:

Such a well-rounded, healthy meal and a fantastic looking salad!

2. BestOodles says:

Wow! mouthwatering name “STEAK SALAD WITH POACHED EGG AND CREAMY CHIVE DRESSING”. I want one for my branch today!

3. I’m totally with you on the hearty salad thing…it’s gotta have substance or I’m not interested!

4. Lovely well rounded meal-all the items from the food pyramid are here! Yeah! I would like to have this for lunch-simply delicious. Thanks for sharing.

Looks so delicious and colorful, love it! :)

6. Yummy. Yes…yummy! I’m so with you…I like a DINNER salad…components of dinner in a plate with dressing and this so fits the bill. Did I say yummy?

7. I am a salad lover and this looks delicious!

8. Mariko says:

Steak, poached egg, buttermilk dressing… Swoon. I really can’t get enough poached eggs with greens. Beautiful!

9. Mmm! This salad rocks my socks :-) I love a good hearty salad, too.

10. This is my kinda salad! Love the dressing- I have some extra chives I hope I can try to make this- this week!

11. Jessica says:

What’s not to love about this dish! It’s gorgeous and I love steak salads. Great photos too!

12. Oh my goodness that looks amazing!! I have chives galore – thanks for the dressing recipe :) The egg tip is awesome too, runny yolks are the only way to go! Delicious salad

13. Ann says:

Now THAT’S a salad! I love the fresh/artisan bread element. I’m trying to drop a few pounds, so I often skip that part, but I’m with you – don’t give me a boxed crouton!

14. Peggy says:

Oh yum! This is definitely my kind of salad – love the egg on top… I don’t think you can really go wrong with a dish when it includes a perfect poached egg =)

15. Just look at that oozy-goozy poached egg sitting on that steak and the greens. Absolute perfection.

16. jenna says:

mmm.this looks wonderful. i love the bread and steak addition!

17. This is perfect- I want it right now, for breakfast. I love salads with poached eggs. Also, I have to tell you that your dry rub is the EXACT same mixture of spices I use for my go to rub. Great gals think alike.
    Kisses to you, missy.
    S

18. Skylar says:

Poached eggs with steak…. they were just made to go together. Looks amazing

19. Jen H says:

I LOVE a fresh poached egg on a salad and with the steak I imagine this one is just amazing!

20. Susie says:

I love a poached egg on a salad even better that it has steak.

21. Paula says:

On hot summer evenings we will often had salads for our dinner, more often than not it has chicken in it. I’ve honestly never thought to do a steak salad and with this poached egg (normally I have hard boiled tossed in mine) this is certainly a recipe we will be having over the summer. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

22. Amanda says:

Oh my gosh. That is my idea of a perfect salad, with steak and a poached egg. I love those and having it on a salad would just make my day!

I need to try this!

23. Kocinera says:

This salad looks delicious! I’m a huge poached egg fan, too, so any way to eat them more often sounds good to me. Plus–bonus–it’s in a healthy salad form!

24. Poached egg on a salad! Love steak on a salad. Love egg on my enchilada. This combination was new to me and I can’t wait to try it. Wondering how I’ll like egg and lettuce together. (Probably as well as I like egg and enchilada together!). Great hearty salad.

25. Kubeen says:

Wow looks so good!!! I want to make this tonight!

1. Saturday Surfing: Keepin’ It Cool « Saturday Surfing « Chit-Chat « - July 9, 2011

[...] Steak Salad with Poached Egg and Creamy Chive Dressing [...]