White Chocolate Fudge Pie

You would think I would be over pies.

White Chocolate Fudge Pie

It is true that after writing Everything Pie (due out in September and available for pre-order at the link to your right) I would never want to bake another pie again.  For a while that was true, but after a few pie-free months I noticed that I did not feel the same instant aversion to pie as I had.  In fact, last week I actually had a craving for pie.  Specifically one made with white chocolate in a rich, fudge-like filling.  I am sort of kicking myself that I did not think of this three months ago when I was still writing my book!

White Chocolate Fudge Pie

Do not use low-quality white chocolate in this pie.  White chocolate has a delicate flavor that can be sublime when done well, but can go terribly wrong when made very cheaply.  White chocolate is certainly the star of this production, but in a very important supporting role we have the crust.  I opted for an all butter crust because butter and white chocolate are a stellar flavor team.  Also, the buttery crust is less heavy than a shortening crust, complimenting the richness of the filling.  This pie is lovely when it is still slightly warm, but it keeps very well in the refrigerator.  Just allow the pie to come to room temperature before serving.

White Chocolate Fudge Pie    Serves 8

2 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
3 ounces white chocolate, melted and cooled

White Chocolate Fudge Pie White Chocolate Fudge Pie

In a large bowl sift together the flour, sugar, and salt.  Add the butter and, using your fingers, rub it into the flour until the mixture looks like coarse sand studded with pea sized pieces of butter.

Add 2 tablespoons of water and mix until the dough forms a rough ball.  Add more water, one tablespoon at a time, if needed.

White Chocolate Fudge Pie

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and form a disk.  Wrap in plastic and chill for at least thirty minutes.

Remove the dough from the refrigerator for ten minutes before rolling out.  Roll out on a lightly floured surface to 1/8-inch thick, about a 12-inch circle, turning the dough often to make sure it does not stick.  Dust the surface with additional flour if needed.

Fold the dough in half and place it into a 9-inch pie plate.  Unfold and carefully press the dough into the pan. Use kitchen scissors or a paring knife to trim the dough to 1-inch of the pan’s edge.  Tuck the edges under and crimp the edges with a fork or your fingers.   Cover with plastic and chill until ready to bake.

Heat the oven to 375 F.

White Chocolate Fudge Pie White Chocolate Fudge Pie

In a large bowl combine the butter, eggs, egg yolks, sugar, and corn syrup.  Add in the vanilla, flour, and melted chocolate and whisk until well combined.

White Chocolate Fudge Pie White Chocolate Fudge Pie

Pour the mixture into the pastry crust and place on a baking sheet.  Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the filling is just set.

White Chocolate Fudge Pie

Serve slightly warm or chilled.  Enjoy!

White Chocolate Fudge Pie

© 2011 – 2012, Evil Shenanigans – Baking & Cooking Blog. All rights reserved.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

24 Responses to “White Chocolate Fudge Pie”

1. Erin says:

Mmm I love white chocolate!

2. After Thanksgiving I might have a moment with those same feelings but the truth is, ‘Pie, I can’t quit you.’

Sounds delish Kelly and one I have truly not seen before. BTW I’ve got your book pre-ordered which is actually quite painful because I’m reminded too often of that fact that it is not ready yet. Hurry up book.

3. Ive never..ever seen anything like this pie before! I cant begin to imagine what it tastes like but if its anywhere near as gorgeous as it looks then im sure its utter delightful deliciousness. Wonderful idea!

4. I had a coworker tell me yesterday that pie is the new cupcake…and judging by this I’d say she was right! Yum!

5. Paula says:

The close up of the piece of pie on the fork makes me feel that you are offering me a taste and I sure wish that you were. This pie looks amazing!

6. I’m a white chocolate fan! Yum!

P.S. Small typo in the first sentence…you would think I would BE over pies. Not sure though…

7. Oh my goodness, that looks incredible! Yum :D

8. vanessa says:

This is similar to a “butter tart” in Canada (google it!). The new twist is the white chocolate!! Intriguing!

9. Nice consistency and color here. From the name I was expecting a black and white cream pie. This was a nice surprise-well done-Yum!

10. It doesn’t look like white chocolate at all when it’s done. I’m glad you say it is white chocolate because it looks more like a pecan pie without pecans, a golden sticky filling.

11. Evan@swEEts says:

This sounds heavenly.. I love pies in the summer time.

12. Yum!! White Chocolate sounds wonderful!

13. Ann says:

Looks incredible! I think I may have to get your book…..beautiful pictures!

14. You can never have enough pie! Easy for me to say since I didn’t just finish writing a book about pie. I am really looking forward to September when the book is published.

Maybe I am missing it but is there a link on the right to place an order for the book?

15. Skylar says:

Looks great and slightly deceiving! Thanks for sharing

16. Yum! This looks amazing… Love pie!

17. Liz says:

Mmmmmm….this looks amazing! I adore white chocolate!

18. John Cardero says:

This is pure decadence, I love it. You can’t beat white chocolate. I am going to have to try this out.

19. Rich P. says:

My wife made this pie last weekend and it was fantastic! We couldn’t find a high quality plain white chocolate for some reason, so we substituted a White Coconut Bar from Lindt (http://bit.ly/nlTRlW). It was amazing! Tasted almost exactly like the Cuban coconut pasteles you can get from street vendors and “roach coaches” in Miami, if you’ve ever had one of those. We will definitely make this again. Though we’d like to try it with plain white chocolate, it will be hard to resist going the coconut route again!

20. I’m a white chocolate fanatic…will have to try this soon! It looks amazing!

21. Just discovered your blog and found it totally entertaining. You have a lot of intriguing recipes but the one that really caught my eye was the white chocolate pie.

I will try it and report back my experience.

JD

22. Looks like one great recipe. I haven’t baked with white chocolate in a while. Need to change that!

23. Sounds and looks great, my first thought when I saw the title was that it would be too sweet, however I see that you do not use too much sugar. I have seen fudge recipes that use way more sugar than you do.

24. couposha says:

looks good, love chocolate pies with it