Amber Ale Hot Dog Buns

This post comes with a free bonus!!

Amber Ale Hot Dog Buns

Of course, all my content is free but in this case you get a super secret look at my VERY FAVORITE hot dog toppings!  As you most likely know, if you watch the news at all, Texas is having a massive heat wave that is causing one of the worst drought situations in out state’s history.  I only think it fair, when we are being asked to conserve water, to try and find other liquids to bake and cook with.  In this case I decided to substitute part of the water in my traditional hot dog/hamburger bun recipe with beer!  See?  I am SO doing my part!

Amber Ale Hot Dog Buns

Now, I would like the record to show that I disapprove of store bought, squishy, white bread buns of any kind.  They are bland, sweet, and far too soft to stand up to hearty grilled meats.  Last year I made my first batch of homemade hot dog buns and they were nothing short of a culinary miracle.  Chewy on the outside, soft on the inside, yeasty, and aromatic, homemade buns have spoiled me for anything else.  This recipe keeps pretty well for a day in an airtight bag on the counter.  They will have a softer crust after a day, but they will still have a wonderful flavor.  Freeze any extra buns for up to a month … if you have any left over!

Amber Ale Hot Dog Buns   Yield 2-3 dozen buns

1 1/4 cup water, heated to 110 F
1 1/4 cup amber ale, heated to 110 F
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
2 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons honey
6 cups unbleached bread flour
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 eggs
3 tablespoons vegetable oil

Toppings (my favorites!):
Grilled all-beef, nitrate free, hot dogs
Sriracha mayonnase (1/2 cup mayonnasie mixed with 2 to 3 tablespoons sriracha)
Bread and butter pickle spears
Shredded cheddar cheese
Finely chopped shallots

Amber Ale Hot Dog Buns Amber Ale Hot Dog Buns

In a medium bowl, or large measuring cup, combine the heated water and beer with the cream.  Add the yeast and sugar and allow to stand for 10 minutes, or until very frothy.

Amber Ale Hot Dog Buns Amber Ale Hot Dog Buns

In the bowl of a stand mixer combine the honey, flour, salt, 1 egg, and the yeast mixture.   With a dough hook mix for 3 minutes then test the dough’s hydration.  The dough should be very sticky, and it should just be clumping around the dough hook.  If the dough feels very wet, or looks soupy, add additional flour a tablespoon at a time until it reaches the correct hydration.  Turn the mixer to medium speed and allow the bread to knead for 8 minutes.

Amber Ale Hot Dog BunsAmber Ale Hot Dog Buns

Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface and form the dough into a smooth ball.  Transfer the dough to a large bowl that has been lightly oiled.  Turn the dough to coat with oil and cover with plastic wrap.  Allow to ferment for 1 1/2 hours, or until just over double in bulk.

Amber Ale Hot Dog Buns

Once the dough has fermented turn it out onto a floured work surface and press the dough flat with your hand.  This will evenly distribute the air and yeast in the dough.  Roll back into a ball, cover with plastic and let the dough rest for 10 minutes.

Amber Ale Hot Dog BunsAmber Ale Hot Dog BunsAmber Ale Hot Dog BunsAmber Ale Hot Dog Buns

Once rested scale the dough out into 3 ounce pieces, about 6 dozen.  (3 ounce pieces will create buns that are 8-inches plus after baking, good for bun-length hot dogs, or sausage.  For smaller buns scale out the dough to 2 1/4 ounces, about 7 dozen)  Flatten the dough into a 6-inch rectangle, then roll the top of the dough over and pinch the dough to form a seam.  Continue to do this, tucking in the edges once you get close to the end, then pinch the seam closed.  Place the formed buns seam side down on a baking sheet covered with greased parchment.  Spray the buns with non-stick cooking spray and cover with plastic.  Allow to rise for one hour.

Heat the oven to 375 F.

Amber Ale Hot Dog BunsAmber Ale Hot Dog Buns

Once the rolls have risen beat the remaining egg with 2 teaspoons of water.  Brush the egg wash over the buns then bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the buns are deeply golden and sound hollow when thumped on the side.  Cool on the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Amber Ale Hot Dog Buns

Dress your dogs as desired!  Enjoy!

Amber Ale Hot Dog Buns

© 2011 – 2012, Evil Shenanigans – Baking & Cooking Blog. All rights reserved.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

32 Responses to “Amber Ale Hot Dog Buns”

1. Erin says:

Beer is the perfect addition to a bun, especially one that’s going to hold a hot dog!

2. Kelly, you’ve outdone yourself! These are the most beautiful hotdog buns I’ve ever seen.

3. What I can only call a ‘perfect pairing.’ Next I expect a post on ‘Save Gas; Make Your Own Hotdogs.’

OK, not really but I might actually like hot dogs better if housed in a bun like this. Have to try.

4. I am SO using that excuse to drink beer next time the city issues a water conservation advisory. :)
    Your post just reminded me that we’re halfway into the summer and I’ve yet to have a proper grilled hot dog. I must remedy this situation ASAP… especially if it gives me an excuse to try out this recipe. Love that beautiful fluffy texture on the last shot!

5. Sign me up! I love hot dogs but have a hard time finding adequate bread too…these look heavenly!

6. Yes, we do need to see some better hot dog buns out there at the grocers. We all know, however, that homemade is much better. I have bookmarked this recipe, your pictures are stunning. Yum!

7. Noelle says:

This is fab girl!!! I really want to make these! Thanks for the great recipe. :D

8. Awesome looking buns! And you dog looks fully loaded – just the way I like them…Theresa

9. great one! Hope you are doing well

10. Ann says:

Oh. My…these are incredible! I am buzzing and bookmarking these – I love hotdogs and at the risk of sounding in appropriate….NICE BUNS!

11. Memoria says:

I don’t consume alcohol, so I won’t be able to use this recipe. However, I just had to leave a comment on how fantastic these buns look. The dough looked absolutely perfect even before baking. What great process photos. Thank you.

12. Annika says:

I never even thought about making my own hot dog buns, but now I certainly will!

13. Paula says:

What a beautiful looking bun! I’ll bet they taste amazing and would be great grilled a little on the BBQ! You are so creative to have added the beer to the recipe.

14. Geri says:

I have a child allergic to milk products, and due to lactate and lactylate in so many buns now, I can’t buy them anywhere. How important is the heavy cream in the recipe? Can you substitute soymilk or non-dairy creamer like Mocha Mix?

You can leave the milk out … just use water.

16. RisaG says:

I wonder if I can half the recipe and use my bread machine to make the dough? Or adapt it in some way to use half that flour amount? I know it isn’t exactly half the yeast but 1 tsp of my yeast per cup of flour? Something like that. These look so good and I have been wanting to make my own hot dog buns but I don’t have a roll pan, like I’ve seen in King Arthur’s catalog. Now I can. Thanks.

17. RisaG says:

Memoria, they make alcohol-free beer. I’ve used it in recipes and it works just fine.

18. It’s 6:39am…and I want a hot dog. not just *any* hot dog…THESE hot dogs! WITH homemade buns?!? Sigh.

19. Excellent. I do not now if I would have the patience to make my own buns but this looks so good and much better than supermaket buns for sure

20. paula hennig says:

I agree store bought buns aren’t even in the same class as homemade buns. Love the addition of beer! Way to go conserving water;)

21. Skylar says:

Dang, that’s impressive. Cooking with beer is an inspired past time of mine, but I never thought to make my own hotdog buns. Until now!!

22. ericsnis says:

I only ended up with 2 dozen weighing them out at 3 oz. each. Are they supposed to be 3 oz? They were rather large even for longer dogs.

23. Brian Millington says:

Did the recipe exactly as written. Results were fantastic! Only question is on the yield. I got 21 three oz buns, which actually was closer to what I can use. How do you get 6 dozen?

Brian,

The yield was a typo … it should read 2-3 dozen. Not sure how that got past me!! Sorry for the confusion!

25. Wow! don’t these dogs look awesome? and kudos on doing your part on saving water :-)

26. mjskit says:

Unfortunately, I don’t like hotdogs – I know that’s very unAmerican, but I’ve never like them – even when I was a kid. HOWEVER,because you can’t buy a decent hamburger bun either, I bet this recipe would work just as well for hamburgers. I love the recipe with the ale and honey, so I might just give it a try. Great Recipe and beautiful pictures!

27. Dean says:

Not sure how you got the nice rounded bun shape in the last picture from the finished flat bottom bread stick baking picture?

Bun spilt comes out on flat bottom side the way the recipe is written.

Also, not very airy. Wanted a heavier bread, but this ones ‘home bread’ heavy.

Beautiful pictures and appreciate hot dog bun recipe, almost impossible to find on the internet!

1. The Weekend Dish: 8/6/2011 | Brown Eyed Baker - August 5, 2011

[...] Amber Ale Hot Dog Buns (Evil Shenanigans) Homemade hot dog buns, and they’re made with beer! That sounds absolutely perfect, and now I want a hot dog! [...]

2. of the moment {1.7.11} | The Daily Crumb - January 7, 2012

[...] pleasure of the moment:  amber ale hot dog buns.  you guys may not know this about me, but i love hot dogs.  like.  love.  add beer to the [...]

3. Dinner « suaspontesupper - January 28, 2012

[...] from Evil Shenanigans [...]

4. Super Bowl Snacks for New York Giants Fans - February 3, 2012

[...] Try: Hot Sausage Dip from Cookin’ Cowgirl Puff Pastry Sausage Rolls from Hidden Ponies Amber Ale Hot Dog Buns from Evil [...]

5. Your Questions About Gardening | gardenerscardiff.co.uk - March 26, 2012

[...] unwelcomedGeorgia’s “Subpar” Day Care Centers Couldn’t Survive CapitalismRich Chocolate CakeAmber Ale Hot Dog Buns .recentcomments a{display:inline !important;padding:0 !important;margin:0 [...]