Crunchy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Muffins

When life gets busy I turn to easy comfort foods.

Crunchy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Muffins

I am currently working, quite furiously, on my next book. In fact, I just passed the half way point!  My work on the book, as well as my trips to BlogHer and IFBC New Orleans, mean that this month I will not have as much time for cooking anything other than pies.  Anything I can bake and stash in the freezer makes me feel a little more secure.  I love knowing I am just a few moments away from something scrumptious that is not pie related.  (It is certain I have reached total pie saturation.  Send help!)  Now, I do love a good muffin, and I also love chocolate and peanut butter.   I think you see where this is going.

Crunchy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Muffins

This is a dense muffin that goes great with a tall glass of cold milk.  I opted for crunchy peanut butter for the sake of texture.  I wanted those little nibs of peanut scattered among the chocolate chips.  If you prefer creamy, or you want to use another nut butter altogether, feel free.   Just please do not use low-fat peanut butter.  It will bake up with a distinct bitter flavor, and that stuff is just junk anyway.  If you want to add a little tart sweetness to these muffins add some dried cranberries, soaked in some orange juice.  Raisins would also be nice in place of the chocolate chips for a more PB&J feel.

Crunchy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Muffins    Yield 18

2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup butter melted
½ cup crunchy peanut butter, melted
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup sour cream
2 eggs
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, plus extra for garnish
2 tablespoons flour

Heat the oven to 375 F and line a 12 cup muffin pan with paper liners.

Crunchy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Muffins

In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

Crunchy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Muffins

In a separate bowl combine the butter, peanut butter, vanilla, milk, sour cream, and eggs.

In a small bowl toss together the chocolate chips with the 2 tablespoons of flour until they are well coated.

Crunchy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Muffins

Add the wet ingredients into the dry and stir until most of the dry ingredients are moist.   Add the chocolate chips and fold to incorporate.

Crunchy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Muffins

Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin pan and top with a few extra chocolate chips, if desired.  Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until the center of the muffins springs back when lightly pressed and the tops are golden brown.  Cool in the pan for 3 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Crunchy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Muffins

Crunchy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Muffins

© 2011, Evil Shenanigans – Baking & Cooking Blog. All rights reserved.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

26 Responses to “Crunchy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Muffins”

You can’t go wrong with pb and chocolate!

2. Julia says:

Your NEXT book!!!! AWESOME, good for you!

3. Yum, I love any chance to combine chocolate and peanut butter!

4. RavieNomNoms says:

Ooo yes please! Peanut butter and chocolate is such a winning combo. Keep going on that book! That is fantastic!

5. The muffins look great! I will bet you will be relieved when your book is completely done.

6. I prefer crunchy peanut butter too! Congrats on the upcoming book!!

7. I am big on dense muffins in the freezer. They are too easy to take out when you are on the run. Love this recipe.

8. love these! Hope all is well

9. Yes please, I’ll take a whole batch of these! An you have my promise: no low fat PB…blech!

10. Pie saturation?! That really exists? I didn’t think it was possible. ;)

11. Love PB and chocolate; bet these are wonderful Kelly. So excited to hear the book is coming along and you have finally stopped slacking. :)

12. Paula says:

Love the hearty look of these muffins. The suggestion to add dried cranberries soaked in orange juice sounds delicious too.
    Best wishes on wrapping up this next book of yours, looking forward to it.

13. Kita says:

Is there really anywhere in this recipe that anything could go wrong? Peanut butter, crunchy, chocolate and all packed into a perfect little muffin? Sold.

14. Christine says:

Looks wonderful! I’d like a muffin with a cup of coffee. Yum!

15. How I would love to have one of these in the morning, in the afternoon, in the evening..anyhow they look delicious and I am glad you are all for the real and crunchy PB. Yum!

16. These muffins look amazing! I was just thinking about making a muffin like this today.

These look delicious and your pictures are pure perfection! Great job! :)

18. Oh I have been in the mood to bake lately and these look yummy! I love your wrappers too- so cute.

19. These sound great! I haven’t made muffins in a while… Might need to remedy that soon. Feel free to send some of that pie my way, too. :)

20. Ann says:

Delicious! I was just wondering how your book was coming along….

21. Chris says:

Oops…..will I get 12 or 18?!? Quantities (and yield note) make me think 18 but you have only 12 liners….. Just thought clarification is best before I make these! (…because I WILL make these!!!)

Chris – I did not shoot all the muffins as they came out of the oven, but it is 18.

23. Chocolate and peanut butter are a match made in heaven. Can’t wait to see you in ONE WEEK. :)

24. Good luck with your book. I understand the busyness it creates because I’m working on book three of a new trilogy I have with Circlet Press.

25. Stunning, I can just imagine a long tall glass of ice cold milk with these muffins. Stunning.

1. Sharing Saturday: Thinking about Everyone on the East Coast | TheUnderCoverCook.com - August 27, 2011

[…] mention my own Little Pumpkin is starting preschool next week?  I am really not ready for this!    Crunchy Peanut Chocolate Chip Muffins – Found these little muffins on Evilshenanigans (which is just a fun little blog name […]