Bacon and Egg Breakfast Casserole

I love a good casserole.

Really, what’s not to love?  They are, with a few exceptions, easy to prepare, they can be made up in advance, and they are comforting.  When the weather turns chilly there is nothing I like better than a cozy casserole.  So, one morning a few days ago it was just a little chilly.  Not co but the wind had a little bite.   Obviously it was time to make a casserole!  While perusing a casserole cookbook, sponsored by one of those canned soup companies that shall remain nameless, I came across a casserole that had potential.  It was made with a box of croutons, a can of cheese soup, eggs,  and bacon.  It sounds disgusting on its face, but I saw past the over-processed ingredients into the heart of the recipe.  It was begging to be made with fresh ingredients, and who was I to walk away from that kind of  challenge?  So, I came up with this.

Bacon and Egg Breakfast Casserole

I started with whole grain bread that was a little past its prime.  It was edible, with a pleasant nutty flavor, but it was no good for the sandwiches and toast I had purchased it for.  With it I made some buttery homemade croutons, which are so easy I can’t figure out why people buy them.  Next, I fried some bacon until it was quite crisp, and with the bacon drippings I sauteed some onion and garlic.  Those flavors would have been in the store bought croutons, but I opted for fresh.  Finally I made a basic custard base of eggs and milk, and I shredded some cheese.  Rather than a cheese sauce I wanted my casserole to have a lightly browned cheesy top.  This would make a great addition to a brunch menu, particularly around the holidays, but it would also make a great dinner.  You could also prepare this whole thing the evening before and just bake it off in the morning.  I think I did right by that poor little casserole, and I know I did right by me.  I enjoyed every bite!

Bacon and Egg Breakfast Casserole     Serves 6 to 8

6 slices whole grain bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
6 strips thick cut bacon
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
4 eggs
2 cups milk or half and half
Hot sauce, to taste (I used 1 tablespoon)

Heat the oven to 350 F and spray a medium casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.

Bacon and Egg Breakfast CasseroleBacon and Egg Breakfast Casserole

In a medium bowl combine the bread, melted butter, paprika, salt, and pepper until the bread is evenly coated.

Bacon and Egg Breakfast CasseroleBacon and Egg Breakfast Casserole

Spread the bread on a baking sheet and bake for 12 to 18 minutes, or until deeply golden brown and crunchy.  Set aside to cool.

Bacon and Egg Breakfast CasseroleBacon and Egg Breakfast Casserole

In a medium skillet cook the bacon over medium heat until it is very crisp.  Remove the bacon from the pan to drain then add the onion and garlic and cook until just softened, about two minutes.  Drain the onion mixture well on paper towels.

Bacon and Egg Breakfast CasseroleBacon and Egg Breakfast Casserole

In a medium bowl whisk together the eggs, milk, and hot sauce until well combined.

To assemble first spread the bread chunks on the bottom of the prepared casserole dish.  Next spread over the onions, then crumble the bacon and spread it in an even layer.   Top this with the cheese then carefully pour over the egg mixture.  Let stand on the counter for 10 minutes, or cover and refrigerate overnight.

Bacon and Egg Breakfast Casserole

Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the casserole is puffed all over and the cheese is golden brown.  Cool for 10 minutes before serving.

Bacon and Egg Breakfast Casserole

Enjoy warm or at room temperature.

Bacon and Egg Breakfast Casserole

© 2011, Evil Shenanigans – Baking & Cooking Blog. All rights reserved.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

21 Responses to “Bacon and Egg Breakfast Casserole”

1. Looks great Kelly! Perfect for Christmas Morning!!

Heather

2. Michelle O says:

What a decadent breakfast. Breakfast bread pudding but savory. YUM.

3. Christine says:

Everything taste better with bacon. :-) Great breakfast, lunch or dinner.

4. You said it all Kelly…what’s not to love? Because I love everything about it. YUM is the word!

5. This would be a perfect brunch dish or as mentioned above, Christmas morning breakfast! Yum! Thanks for sharing!

6. Hi Kelly,

These casseroles are THE BEST!! And you are right, using the homemade croutons beats the store bought variety by a mile!! Since I make at least two of these a month (mostly for work) I’ll be adding your recipe to my collection!

7. Hey Kelly, funny after the lengthy convo to find myself here but just wanted to drop by and say I am loving you more and more by the second:)

8. You’re right, what’s not to love??? Bacon. Eggs. Cheese. The ultimate trifecta for a delicious breafkast!!

9. brandi says:

breakfast casseroles are one of my downfalls. they are so good!

10. Yum! Breakfast casseroles are one of my favorites. I think I need to make one this weekend.

11. You had me at bacon. You sealed the deal with casserole.

12. I especially love breakfast casseroles for Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year’s Day, and Easter. Hmmm I guess that just about covers most of the holidays. :) Thanks for sharing this recipe, it sounds awesome.

13. Paula says:

Only six slices of bacon!!?? Just kidding. Can you tell I love bacon? I also love the look of this casserole and the fact that it can be prepared the evening before. Fabulous brunch idea, especially when one has company.

14. Mary says:

Great recipe!! Love that it has bacon and not sausage. Your picture are drool-worthy!!! Will definitely be making this soon. Thanks!

15. Tickled Red says:

My coffee is so lonesome right now. He needs a good breakfast casserole in his life to cheer him up. Guess I’ll have to make him yours so he’ll stop pining. ;) Looks scrumptious!

16. Claudia says:

Now that’s a casserole. And I would be happy to have it for dinner.

17. This looks like the ultimate comfort food! How perfect for a late Sunday breakfast.

18. Amber says:

I love breakfast casseroles! I don’t feel like I have to tend to more than one pan, and everything is done at the same time :)
    Hope you have a great weekend!

19. Anneke (Mudhooks) says:

A variation on this is one I have made using fresh breadcrumbs, grated swiss cheese or Emmenthal, and white wine.

You separate the eggs, beating the yolks and mixing them with the breadcrumbs, grated cheese, and white wine. Beat the whites until stiff and fold the breadcrumb mixture into the beaten whites. Pour the mixture into a buttered glass pan and bake.

Sorry, I don’t have measures and times. Recipe is packed away.

20. Chris says:

Looks good. Isn’t it basically a strata?

1. Bacon and Egg Breakfast Casserole! | Shot Of Glam - February 12, 2013