Chorizo Cheddar Potato Puffs

It is almost time for the BEST part of Thanksgiving.

Chorizo Cheddar Potato Puffs

If you would guess the big meal itself you would only be half right.  My favorite part of this feasting holiday would be the day AFTER the big event when the left-overs roam free!  I love left-overs more than the actual meal because they can either be reheated and eaten as is, or they can be transformed into all manner of interesting dishes like soups, casseroles, or in this case … delightful little puffs!

Chorizo Cheddar Potato Puffs

This recipe has a distinct Tex-Mex flair, and would be good as an appetizer, served as a side dish for brunch, or as a little dipper to go with some soup.  The chorizo packs a lot of flavor, spice, and makes the puffs very savory.  This recipe works best with potatoes that are no too wet, so if your potatoes are even a little soft or runny after chilling you may want to add a tablespoon or two of flour to stiffen then up.

Chorizo Cheddar Potato Puffs   Yield 12 large puffs, 24 mini puffs

1/4 cup Mexican chorizo
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cups prepared mashed potatoes
3 eggs
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese

Heat the oven to 350 F and spray either a 12 cup muffin pan, or a 24 cup mini-muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray.

Chorizo Cheddar Potato Puffs

In a medium skillet over medium heat cook the chorizo until it is slightly darker in color, about 5 minutes.  Add the onions and cook, stirring constantly, until softened, about 2 minutes.  Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.  Allow to cool for five minutes.

Chorizo Cheddar Potato PuffsChorizo Cheddar Potato PuffsChorizo Cheddar Potato Puffs

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or in a large bowl with a hand mixer, combine the chorizo mixture, mashed potato, eggs, and cream until smooth.   Fold in the shredded cheese.

Chorizo Cheddar Potato PuffsChorizo Cheddar Potato Puffs

Divide the potato mixture evenly between the prepared baking cups.  Bake for 25 to 30 minutes for large puffs, 20 to 25 for mini puffs.

Chorizo Cheddar Potato Puffs

Serve hot.  Enjoy!

Chorizo Cheddar Potato Puffs

© 2011, Evil Shenanigans – Baking & Cooking Blog. All rights reserved.

Tags: , , , , , ,

14 Responses to “Chorizo Cheddar Potato Puffs”

1. Stephenie Meyer says:

OMG! These things are delish! Made some for our Twilight party!

Happy Thanksgiving!!

2. Honestly you had me at chorizo…it’s the crack-cocaine of the sausage world!

3. Nish says:

Oh my this looks soo good! Chorizo, mash and cream = yummm! Gorgeous photos too!

4. Christine says:

Hey Kelly, your Puff is a Recipe Guessing Game on Knapkins. Think your friends can win? http://knapkins.com/guess_games/765?source=blog

5. Great minds and all…I just did potato pancakes. I think I like them better than mashed potatoes but for some reason never think to make them just for that. This sounds great too Kelly, um um good!

6. No leftover mashed potatoes in our house :-(… but these are definitely going on the menu anyway!! I am always looking for easy and delicious appetizers and these look perfect!

7. What a fun way to use up mashed potatoes. My kids devoured all of our leftovers, so I may need to make more to try this!! :)

8. Jamie says:

I think I would make the potatoes special for these, not wait for leftovers! These tasty treats would be fabulous just with a bowl of soup for dinner. Love it! And I have chorizo-crazy sons, too!

9. Arden L says:

I have my eye on this recipe for an appetizer at a family gathering next week. If no leftover mashed potatoes in the house, has anyone considered grating some raw peeled potatoes?

10. Jules says:

Oh man, my husband would go bonkers for these!

11. KitchenFairy says:

Hi, this sounds so yummy! do you have a low-fat substitute for the heavy cream? my family are really health conscious so shy away from anything ‘cream’.

Kitchen Fairy – I suppose you could go with whole milk if you are avoiding cream, but since these puffs also have chorizo sausage, which is not exactly healthy, I think a little cream is the least of your health worries! :D I think there are some turkey chorizo sausages out there, however, that might work here. Good luck slimming this one down!

1. The 50 Best Snacks, Dips, and Dunks on the Internet « 50 Best Recipes « - September 9, 2012

[…] Chorizo Cheddar Potato Puffs […]