Mini-Cheddar Corn Dogs

I know, the ‘Big Game’ is this weekend … but I have a shocking confession to make.

Mini-Corn Dogs

I kind of don’t like  football.  We are a hockey family which means we love the quick pace, the action, the inevitable bout of teeth shattering fisticuffs, and the blare of the goal horn when someone tips the puck in the net!  (In all honesty, I only like the Dallas Stars goal horn for obvious reasons.)  Football, for all its charm, just lacks much of the pulse pounding excitement and for the most part I don’t  watch.  Living in Dallas it is all Cowboys all the time.  I mean, have you seen ‘Jerry World’ (otherwise known as the Cowboy’s Stadium)?  As if NFL games were not enough we also have some college and high school football thrown in for good measure.  I grew up with it and I have never felt the same thrills with football that I do with hockey.  Now, I tell you all this because we do actually watch the game … but like so many we watch for the commercials!  Yes, I am a sucker for slick marketing.  So, my party food is more akin to ‘Commercial Watching’ food, but if you want to be enraptured by the big game while you nosh … well these are good for that, too!

Mini-Corn Dogs

I love and adore corn dogs.  Heck, the Texas State Fair is the (disputed) home of the corn dog, so I suppose it is in my DNA to like them.  Most corn dogs have an unfortunate dog to corn breading ratio.  I like a nice, fluffy layer of corn batter but I like the dog to be the star.  Also, speaking of the dogs, I use organic, nitrate free, all beef hot dogs and so should you (unless you are a vegetarian, then use whatever floats your veggie boat).  They taste better, are better for you, and if you are going to eat something battered and deep fried quality should really count.  My one little tweak here to tradition is to add a little sharp cheddar cheese to the batter.  You find, while eating, that you will come across little crisp cheese nuggets in the batter that I find addicting.  These are wonderful for snacking, or to soak up the booze at a cocktail party, and you can fry them up to an hour ahead of serving, just stash them in a warm oven.

Mini-Cheddar Corn Dogs    Yield 40

10 beef hot dogs
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
3/4 cup cornmeal
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk
2 eggs
1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Oil, for frying

Mini-Corn Dogs

Begin by preparing the hot dogs.  Cut each dog into 4 pieces and place a small skewer or tooth pick into each dog.  Pat dry with a paper towel.

Mini-Corn Dogs

In a shallow dish add 1/2 cup of the flour.  Roll the hot dogs into the flour, making sure they are completely coated, then tap off any excess.  Set aside.

Heat at least three inches of oil in a deep pot, allowing for two inches of space at the top of the pan to prevent overflow, to 350 F.

Mini-Corn DogsMini-Corn DogsMini-Corn Dogs

While the oil heats prepare the batter.  In a small bowl combine the remaining flour, cornmeal, baking soda, sugar, salt, and cayenne pepper.  Whisk to combine.   In a separate bowl whisk together the buttermilk and eggs.  Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir gently until just combined, about 10 strokes.  Add the shredded cheese and fold to combine.

Mini-Corn Dogs

Working in small batches, about 4 to 6 at a time, dip the dogs into the batter, making sure the entire dog is coated.  You may need to use a spatula to spread the batter over the entire surface.  Allow any excess batter to drip off then gently lower the dogs into the hot oil.   Fry until deeply golden brown, turning often to ensure even cooking, about 4 to 6 minutes.  Remove from the oil and allow to drain on paper towels.

Mini-Corn Dogs

Serve with your favorite condiments.  Clearly, I like mustard and ketchup!  Enjoy!

Mini-Corn Dogs

© 2012, Evil Shenanigans – Baking & Cooking Blog. All rights reserved.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

25 Responses to “Mini-Cheddar Corn Dogs”

1. State Fair….disputed home?!? Oh no…it’s the home! ;)

Seriously, your corn dogs look amazing and like they could rival the State Fair corny dogs. I, too, will be watching the game…for the commercials.

2. JulieD says:

I love this! I love making corn dogs but mini ones are even better!

3. the mini stuff is awesome – i could eat these all day!

4. Karly says:

I want these so bad I could cry.

5. Terra says:

These are great, so much better then any store bought corn dog! I am a hockey fan too, love that it is getting close to playoffs, one of the best times of the year!!! Hugs, Terra

6. Stefanie Tweedy says:

In from the D/FW area as well. Have you ever heard of Trinity HS? My daughter cheers for them, we have actually won more games at Jerry’s world than they have! Lol. I have seen two shows on tv about corn dogs, now your blog. I guess that means I need one! Love this recipe!

Stefanie – Oh yes, I know that HS! They are on the news a lot … game of the week and all that! :D

8. Cathy @ Savory Notes says:

I kinda don’t like football too. I use it as an excuse to make tons of fun food and have a party. I love the sounds of this recipe!

9. Tickled Red says:

Girl! The boys are going to loose their glue over these. Love em’, love em’, love em’!

10. Lisa says:

I would give anything for a plate of these right now! Weird timing as I’m going through a ‘pig in blanket’ phase. So much so, I even keeled and bought a pack of frozen ones..blecch. I’m so excited to make these!

11. I won’t dispute it–corn dogs were invented in Texas! :)

Sometimes when I make a pan of cornbread, I lay hot dogs on top before it bakes. It’s like a baked corn dog but with more bread? Love it.

12. mjskit says:

You know – I hate hot dogs, but I love corn dogs, I know that’s weird, but…I love these little corn dog bites. They’re perfect! Thanks for sharing this idea and recipe.

13. I’ve never had too much of a good experience with corn dogs! but these makes me want to give it another chance

14. Kate says:

I’m about to make these for tonight but in the recipe it says baking soda and in the directions it says baking powder. I’m going for soda and hoping they turn out great! They look amazing in the pictures and I can’t wait to try them.

Kate – Oops! Sorry about that, and the baking soda is the correct ingredient! Hope you enjoy them!

16. I made these for our Superbowl party and they were fantastic!! Thanks so much! :) xo

17. Kelli says:

These are so cute! I love that they are mini and the cheese in the batter is genius!

18. Kate says:

Quite a late update, but I made these for the Superbowl and they were AMAZING! Fantastic recipe! Thanks!!

19. I`ve never really been into corn dogs, but if they looked like this, I would eat them up in a flash!

20. Sarah says:

Can these be baked in the oven? If so, at what temp?

1. Football Food! « Born to Be… - November 19, 2012

[...] Courtesy of Evil Shenanigans These are super cute mini cheese corn dogs (above) or a combination of corn dogs and cheese-on-a-stick (below). I’ve never tried a corn dog so I am excited to give one of these a try! [...]

2. Super Bowl Fun & Tasty Finger Food Recipes | Toasted Head - January 25, 2013

[...] Mini-Cheddar Corn Dogs Mmm, corn dogs. This recipe from Evil Shenanigans makes ‘em even more evil—er, delicious—by adding dash of sharp cheddar to the batter. Let the [...]

3. super bowl party picks | - January 28, 2014

[…] change up your normal pigs in the blanket routine with these bitesize carnival inspired corndogs. […]

4. Bite Size Corndogs… | muffinsandlace - March 13, 2014

[…] February 16, 2012 Larissa2014 Leave a comment About a week ago hubby and I wanted to do something different for dinner. We didn’t want to make a big fancy dinner. So we decided to make corn dogs. As I searched on the Internet of course the first place I went was Pinterest. And guess what I found.. Mini Cheddar Corn Dogs. I pinned the picture and looked up the recipe.  You can find it here. http://www.evilshenanigans.com/2012/02/mini-cheddar-corn-dogs/ […]

5. Friday Five - Super Bowl Party Ideas 2 - Feed Your Soul Too - March 27, 2014

[…] last idea before I get to some sweets are these Mini-Cheddar Corn Dogs from Evil […]