Spicy Red Bean Soup

Wed, Jul 15, 2009

Cooking, Featured Articles, Recipes, Soup, Tex-Mex

Sometimes you just need a good bowl of soup.

Red Bean Soup

The funny thing about soup is that despite how easy most soups are to make at home we, as a society, so often turn to the cans of soup that line grocery store shelves.  Yes, they are easy to prepare, but for all their ease of use they lack any real flavor.

Red Bean Soup

So, a few weeks ago, I found myself contemplating easy, filling soups that would put some roses back in my cheeks (to find out why see here) when I found this recipe by Emeril Lagasse on Food Networks website.  I want to say that I miss Emeril on Food Network and I think the network lost something when they declined to renew his contract, but that is neither here nor there.

The recipe sounded tremendously comforting, and with a few additions of my own it was exactly what I wanted.  Hearty, tasty, and overall easy!

Spicy Red Bean Soup   Serves 8
Adapted from Emeril Lagasse via Food Network

6 ounces smoked sausage (I used a pork and veal sausage)
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 cup chopped yellow onions
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped green bell peppers
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon coriander
1 clove garlic, minced
3 (16-ounce) cans cooked canned red beans, drained and rinsed
3 cups chicken stock
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Hot sauce, to taste

Red Bean Soup

In a heavy bottom pot over medium heat cook the sausage until the fat is rendered out, about five minutes.  Remove the sausage from the pan and reserve.

Red Bean SoupRed Bean Soup

To the rendered fat add the vegetable oil and once it shimmers add the onions, celery and bell peppers.  Cook until they begin to soften, about five minutes.  Add the bay leaf, cayenne pepper, cumin, coriander, and garlic.  Cook until fragrant, about one minute.

Red Bean Soup

Add the drained beans and the chicken stock and allow to come to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for thirty minutes uncovered.

One the soup has simmered season with salt and add hot sauce then, working in batches, blend the soup until smooth.

Garnish with the cooked sausage.

Red Bean Soup

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

20 Responses to “Spicy Red Bean Soup”

My hubs loves anything with sausage, this is right up his alley! Will have to bookmark the recipe.

2. You always have great soup recipes! And seeing the weather here in London, soup is the best meal you can have at the moment to warm you up.

3. s. stockwell says:

We always enjoy a visit to your post. This one is heart warming and we just need to locate some delicious sausage…happy summer from Montecito, best s

4. Marye says:

That looks good. Great color contrast with the blue cloth and the brown bowl. Great sounding soup but the image is awesome.

5. CJ Carter says:

Looks great, adding to my favorites and gave you some stumble love! thanks

6. Laura says:

Mmmm….. that sounds so delicious. Great picks.

7. jenn says:

Nicely done!! Looks delicious!!!! Hand be a couple pieces of bread.

8. Mmm, comfort. Topped with sausage, this looks so good.

9. Kasey says:

I’m a huge fan of red beans, but have never made a pureed soup like this with them. Thanks for the inspiration!

10. I really like this recipe… sounds very good, but I think I’ll wait till fall, to have it hot! :-)

11. This recipe looks simple and delicious. Thanks for sharing.

12. Joe Ann Strachan says:

Looks delicious, I looove soups. Thanks for the invite!

13. ValleyWriter says:

Mmm… I love the sausage garnish on top. Might actually get my husband to accept soup as a main dish with this one!
    I also wanted to let you know that I nominated you for a Kreativ Blogger award:

14. Debi says:

You are right…most canned soups do lack flavor, despite the fact that they are loaded with sodium. This is a quick recipe perfect for a weeknight meal or weekend lunch. Thanks for sharing!

Yum – I love red beans, and anything that Emeril has created. I bet this soup is wonderful.

16. This soup sounds tasty. My hubby always complains that bean soups are bland – but there is no way that he can say that about this one. I agree with you about Emeril on the Food Network, too – he was one of my favorites. I miss the old Food Network.

17. Donna says:

This sounds very very tasty. I also miss watching Emeril. I have quite a few dishes of his that I do repeat.

18. Chef E says:

Hands down this is a good looking bowl of soup!

1. Friday Favorites – Episode 18 | my kitchen addiction - July 17, 2009

[…] always complains that it has no flavor.  I am sure that he would have no complaints about this Spicy Red Bean Soup from Evil Shenanigans.  I think this sounds perfect for a busy week or a rainy […]

2. Cajun Bean Soup and Lessons Never Learned | my kitchen addiction - July 22, 2009

[…] this recipe for cajun bean soup! It started with a blog post for Spicy Red Bean Soup from Evil Shenanigans… I intended to make the recipe, as written, except for the pureeing part. However, I started […]