Bourbon Caramel Apple Pie Cookies

Mon, Oct 12, 2009

Baking, Cookies, Featured Articles, Recipes

Here in North Texas we have had something of a cold snap.  By cold I mean temps that range from upper 40′s to mid-60′s.  I know there are those who snicker at my definition of cold snap, but here in my neck of the woods this is December weather.

Caramel Apple Pie Cookies

All this cool weather has put me in in the mood for all my cold weather food favorites.  In particular, apple pie.  One of the best apple pies I have ever had had a buttery layer of caramel under the top crust.  The pie tasted like caramel apples and pie all in one.  It was divine!

Caramel Apple Pie Cookies

That is the inspiration for these cookies.  I modified the dough from my Almond and Chocolate Filled Butter Cookies with brown sugar and cinnamon, made an apple pie filling, and some lovely caramel sauce.  To round out the flavor I thew in some bourbon.  In my opinion nothing goes better with apple pie and cinnamon than bourbon, but feel free to leave it out if you prefer.

Caramel Apple Pie Cookies

These cookies are lovely the day they are made, but you can store them in an air tight container in the refrigerator for three days.  The cookies will not be as crisp, but they will taste just as good.

Bourbon Caramel Apple Pie Cookies      Yield about 36 cookies

For the cookie base:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup salted butter, cubed and kept cold
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup milk

For the apple filling:
2 Granny Smith, or other firm, apples, peeled, cored and chopped into small pieces
1/4 cup brown sugar

For the caramel sauce:
1/4 cup water
1 cup sugar
4 tablespoons butter
1 cup cream
1/4 cup bourbon

Heat the oven to 350F and have a mini-muffin pan ready.

Caramel Apple Pie Cookies Caramel Apple Pie Cookies

Begin by preparing the apple pie filling.   In a medium skillet over medium heat combine the apples, sugar, butter, and spices.  Once the butter melts and the apples begin to soften turn off the heat and add the bourbon.  Return the pan to the heat and reduce it to low.  Combine the water with the cornstarch and add to the apple mixture.  Stir until the mixture thickens.  Allow to cool while you prepare the cookie base.

Caramel Apple Pie Cookies

In the bowl of a food processor combine the flour, butter, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and milk.  Pulse until the mixture forms a ball.   On a lightly floured surface roll the dough into a log and divide into 32 even pieces.   Roll each piece into a ball.

Place a ball of dough in the cup of a mini-muffin pan and, using a dough tamper or your fingers, press down until the dough reaches the top if the cup.  (See Strawberry Jam Tarts for detailed pictures of this process.)

Caramel Apple Pie Cookies Caramel Apple Pie Cookies

Fill the cups with a rounded teaspoon of the apple filling.  Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.

While the cookies cool prepare the caramel.

In a medium pot with tall sides add the sugar in an even layer.  Pour in the water and gently stir to combine.  Using a pastry brush and some water wash the sides of the pot to make sure no sugar crystals are clinging to the sides.

Cook the sugar over medium heat, swirling the pot occasionally but do not stir, until it is a dark amber color.  Add the butter and whisk to combine.  Turn off the heat and add the cream slowly, whisking constantly until the caramel is well combined.  Add the vanilla and bourbon.

Caramel Apple Pie Cookies Caramel Apple Pie Cookies

Heat this mixture over medium heat and bring to a boil.  Once boiling cook for one minute.  Cool for thirty minutes.

Caramel Apple Pie Cookies

Once the caramel is cool pour about 1/2 teaspoon over the top of each cookie. Allow the caramel to set for two hours before serving.

Caramel Apple Pie Cookies

Caramel Apple Pie Cookies

Tags: , , , , , ,

31 Responses to “Bourbon Caramel Apple Pie Cookies”

1. You know I created my pie contest recipe using Bourbon too. Great flavor combo.

2. Eliana says:

You had me at the Bourbon – hmmmmmm.

3. katie says:

what is your favorite bourbon to bake with?

Katie – I use Jack Daniels or Makers Mark. I believe that you should use a bourbon you can drink and enjoy.

I could gobble these right up! YUM!

6. Jodi says:

These look so good, I’ve been all about apples lately- I’ll have to give these a try!

7. Laura says:

What a wonderful fall recipe. Yummy:)

8. ValleyWriter says:

Mmmm – these look ooey-gooey delicious!

9. s. stockwell says:

Bless your Heart Evil!! YOu just keep coming up with these winners. We are making them! best from Montecito, s

10. lk says:

oh wow, those sound amazing!!! even better than apple pie!!

Your creativity never ceases to amaze me! These sound wonderful.

12. Stacy says:

If I wanted to leave the bourbon out, do I need to substitute anything in its place?

13. Stacy says:

Also, I have a small (kind of crappy) food processor from Target. Am I going to need a bigger one?

Stacy – In the caramel you don’t need to add anything else, in the pie filling you may need to add a little more water if the mixture seems thick.

15. Sue says:

Those are ingenious – a gorgeous treat in 2 or three bites.

I love bourbon in so many things. Bourbon Sweet Potatoes is one of favorite Thanksgiving dishes.

16. Wow – you’ve done it again! These look absolutely amazing. I think half of the recipes on my list of things to bake are from your blog!

17. Chris says:

Mini pies is a brilliant idea. I think I may take that idea further myself.

18. Bob says:

Ok, I’ll make a deal with you. I won’t snicker at your definition of cold if you send me some of those cookies! :D

19. I break out my long sleeves and sweaters at 70 degrees – lol.

These look so good. I can’t wait to try them.

20. I happen to agree with your definition of a cold snap… but if it has caramel and apples on it, I’ll eat it even if I’m inside a volcano.

21. Jen says:

That’s just not even nice, posting something sooo good. Man, now I have to go bake these. Hope I don’t eat them all myself. Thanks for sharing this.

22. Looks soo good! Like your photos :o)

23. Ashley says:

Oh wow, excellent creation!

24. HeatherT says:

Thank you so much for sharing this yummy recipe. You’ve received a Make Me Hungry Award. http://slocooking.blogspot.com/2009/10/make-me-hungry-awards-october-2009.html

25. Laura says:

I made these cookies yesterday and they were phenomenal–thank you soo much for the recipe!!

26. I have no idea how I miss this one when it was posted fantastic! love this yummy recipe thanks

27. Rebecca says:

I brought these to my boyfriend’s boss’s bday. They were an absolute smash hit, even though I think I screwed up the caramel. Thank you!!

28. Sweet nibblets!!! I want some mac and cheese right now!!

It’s not a game day without buffalo wings for me and a load of chips and dips.

1. Tweets that mention Bourbon Caramel Apple Pie Cookies | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog -- Topsy.com - October 12, 2009

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Evil Shenanigans and Evil Shenanigans. Evil Shenanigans said: Fresh Shenanigans! Bourbon Caramel Apple Pie Cookies – http://bit.ly/2NrgYT [...]

2. Bites from other Blogs | Complete Mountain Bikes, Parts and Accessories - October 15, 2009

[...] Bourbon Caramel Apple Pie Cookies from Evil Shenanigans are basically little apple pies, baked in mini muffin pans and made with a [...]

3. Caramel Cake with Cinnamon Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese Frosting | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog - October 19, 2009

[...] the recipe for Bourbon Caramel Apple Pie Cookies contains a recipe that yields well over a cup of caramel [...]