Chocolate Chip Coconut Brown Butter Cookies

Fri, Oct 2, 2009

Baking, Cookies, Featured Articles, Recipes

I’m on something of a brown butter kick at the moment.  It is a really tasty kick, if I don’t mind saying.

Chocolate Chip Coconut Brown Butter Cookies

After the Chocolate Spice Cake with Brown Butter Frosting I was looking for another way to use brown butter in sweets.  I decided on cookies, since they are my favorite thing to eat, and I decided to use some coconut because I had some in the pantry.  Really, these cookies were created simply by looking in my pantry and picking out things I needed to use up!

Chocolate Chip Coconut Brown Butter Cookies

These cookies are crisp on the outside and chewy on the inside.  The dual textures is created partly from the brown butter and partly from the coconut.  There is a lovely nuttiness to these cookies, but it is not overpowering.  All the flavors are subtle and combine to make a very tasty cookie.

Chocolate Chip Coconut Brown Butter Cookies

Chocolate Chip Coconut Brown Butter Cookies    Yield 5 dozen

1 cup unsalted butter, browned and cooled
3/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup toasted coconut, lightly crushed
1 cup chocolate chips

Heat the oven to 350F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

Chocolate Chip Coconut Brown Butter Cookies Chocolate Chip Coconut Brown Butter Cookies

In the bowl of a mixer combine the brown butter and sugars until well mixed.  The mixture will be slightly dry.  Add the eggs and vanilla and mix until well combined.

Chocolate Chip Coconut Brown Butter Cookies

On low mix until just combined the flour, baking soda, and salt.

Stir in the coconut and chocolate chips.

Chocolate Chip Coconut Brown Butter CookiesChocolate Chip Coconut Brown Butter Cookies

Scoop the dough by tablespoons (I used a #09 disher) onto the parchment line pans.  Bake for 10 – 12 minutes, or until the edges are golden.  Cool on the pan for two minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

Chocolate Chip Coconut Brown Butter Cookies

Get your milk ready and enjoy!!

Chocolate Chip Coconut Brown Butter Cookies

Tags: , , , , , , ,

21 Responses to “Chocolate Chip Coconut Brown Butter Cookies”

1. maria says:

YUM! I am SO making these!

Wow, yum! I love brown butter, and I love coconut, what great additions for this cookie!

3. I don’t think I need to tell you about my love for chocolate. This is no exception. Send over a dozen as I have my glass of milk ready and waiting.

4. alice says:

I love coconut in chocolate chip cookies.. your adaptation with the brown butter has made me very curious. Now I just need some coconut to make these!

5. Delicious! I haven’t tried making cookies with brown butter before, but it sounds amazing!

6. Donna says:

These cookies sound outrageously delicious!!

7. Kristen says:

I am loving all of the brown butter lately! Adds such a great, almost nutty flavor. Yum :)

8. I haven’t made cookies in a while and my mouth is drooling!! Thank you for sharing :o)

9. Diana says:

I’ve never used brown butter. This combo sounds great!

10. Eliana says:

These look super delish and I’m so intrigued by the brown butter.

11. efrain says:

found your site via Mark (co-worker) – your recipes look awesome. I’d like to try making these cookies.

How would it affect the cookie if I removed the coconut?
    And do you brown the butter, THEN measure a cup? or first measure a cup of butter and brown it?

12. Look at that, just look at that. Sigh, I wish my culinary school program gave us more than a week of baking. Still, there is the pastry program … and I’m thinking of going.

Cheers!

Hi Efrain! :) The coconut is not required, so feel free to leave it out or sub some toasted and chopped nuts. As for the butter, measure out the cup and then brown it. I hope you enjoy them!!

14. Ohmigosh these look amazing. I love chocolate, coconut, AND brown butter. Can’t get much better.

15. Nutmeg Nanny says:

OMG I need to try these now! I love all those flavors you put together….yum!!! :)

16. Dolce says:

I discovered your blog with the Food Buzz vote, and I love it!
    These cookies look really yummy… I will bookmark them for a future baking afternoon!

17. efrain says:

was wondering if coconut flakes should be unsweetened/natural…

Efrain – I used sweetened coconut.

1. Tweets that mention Chocolate Chip Coconut Brown Butter Cookies | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog -- Topsy.com - October 2, 2009

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Maria Lichty. Maria Lichty said: RT @bakingblog Fresh Shenanigans! Chocolate Chip Coconut Brown Butter Cookies: http://bit.ly/G1Hrw I am making these! [...]

2. Christmas Cookie Round-Up!! | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog - November 26, 2009

[...] Chocolate Chip Coconut Brown Butter Cookies [...]

3. Friday Favorites – Episode 29 | my kitchen addiction - January 5, 2010

[...] you’re looking for a new twist on chocolate chip cookies, be sure to check out these Chocolate Chip Coconut Brown Butter Cookies from Evil Shenanigans. The thought of brown butter, chocolate, and coconut makes my mouth [...]