Tex-Mex Potato Cheese Soup

I’ve established that I used to be in a potato rut.  No longer, I am happy to report, and this recipe proves it.

Tex-Mex Potato Cheese Soup

Potato soup is something I love to eat but never really make.   The last recipe I tried made a large pot of what can best be described as wall paper paste.  So, when I was looking at some extra potatoes that I needed to use, I decided to make some potato soup that would actually be creamy, velvety, and a delight to eat.

Tex-Mex Potato Cheese Soup

Now, if we are going to make potato soup why not go all the way with it?  I added some sharp cheddar cheese for tang, some diced jalapeno for spice, some Ro*Tel tomatoes for flavor, and some bacon.  Bacon doesn’t need a reason.

Tex-Mex Potato Cheese Soup

I did some reading about how to make a good pot of potato soup and I learned that cooking the potatoes before adding them to the thickened milk would make the soup creamy with out getting mushy.  I par cooked my potatoes in the chicken stock I used in the soup.  The starch in the cooking liquid was saved and it made the soup exactly the texture I wanted.

Tex-Mex Potato Cheese Soup    Serves 8-12

32 ounces low-sodium chicken broth
2 pounds  russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2″ cubes
3 strips thick-cut bacon, chopped
1 cup chopped yellow onion
1 cup Ro*Tel tomatoes, drained (or 1 cup diced tomatoes with 2 tablespoons green chilies)
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon coriander
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups milk, 2% or higher
Salt and pepper
6 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
Sour cream and green onion to garnish

Tex-Mex Potato Cheese Soup Tex-Mex Potato Cheese Soup

In a medium pot add the chicken stock and diced potatoes and bring to a boil over high heat.  Cook for eight to ten minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.  Turn off the heat but leave the potatoes in the broth to cool slightly.

Tex-Mex Potato Cheese SoupTex-Mex Potato Cheese SoupTex-Mex Potato Cheese Soup

In a large pot over medium heat cook the chopped bacon until crisp.  Add the onion and Ro*Tel tomatoes and cook until the onions begin to soften and become translucent.  Add the jalapeno, garlic, cumin, and coriander.  Cook until fragrant, about a minute.

Tex-Mex Potato Cheese SoupTex-Mex Potato Cheese Soup

Add the butter and allow it to melt then add the flour.  Cook for three minutes then whisk in the milk slowly.  Season with salt and pepper.  Cook until the milk comes to a simmer and begins to thicken.  Add the potatoes and broth and bring to a boil, stirring often.

Tex-Mex Potato Cheese Soup

Once thick turn off the heat and stir in the cheddar cheese.

Tex-Mex Potato Cheese Soup

Serve with sour cream and green onions.

Tex-Mex Potato Cheese Soup

Tags: , , , , ,

28 Responses to “Tex-Mex Potato Cheese Soup”

1. RJ Flamingo says:

Oh, yum! Not being a baco-eater, hope you don’t mind if I skip that step, but man! This is so right up my alley!

2. “bacon does not need a reason” I agree!!!

I love potato soup, adore it actually and this one looks like a winner.

RJ Flamingo – Feel free to skip it, just add a little more butter so the flour will be able to cook properly. :)

Oh wow, yum! This looks good, especially with the Rotel in it! BTW, I made your mushroom and chicken pasta dish last night, and it was tasty! I used leftover shredded chicken thighs and sliced some big portobello mushrooms, and I could’ve even done without the chicken and only eaten mushrooms. It was so good.

Alta – Glad you liked the mushroom dish! Rotel is the best stuff. Magic in a can!

6. Mmm…This is a great soup to get out of your potato rut. It looks so creamy. I love creamy soups. Love it. I just need to get me some cheese and I should be all set.

7. Skylar says:

Yum, this looks really tasty. bacon and cheese, mmm, those pictures make me really want soup

8. wow…love the texture! looks so cheesy and creamy!

9. Rachelle says:

Now that looks like a potato chowder I can love.

10. Miranda says:

I love the jalapeno addition! My hubby would love this!!

11. alison says:

it looks so delicious!

12. Nutmeg Nanny says:

Very delicious! I’m a HUGE potato soup fan…yum!

13. Bacon needs no reason…this much is true! It was great to meet you this weekend in SF. Lucky you, you’re still there to take in all the goodness. Don’t forget…we WILL knock on your window pane and invite ourselves for dinner if we’re in TX soon!

14. Amanda says:

Oh that looks so fabulous! And LMAO about the wallpaper paste. Been there done that :-p

15. cheah says:

Soup looks great and nutritious too.

16. Jessie says:

okay I am drooling over here that potato cheese soup looks absolutely awesome! I’m so glad it came out great the second time around.

17. Rachel J says:

I’ll take 2 bowls, and yes, they are both for me.

18. Sounds like a wonderful soup… I haven’t made potato soup in a long time, but I’m thinking I will have to give this one a try!

19. Eliana says:

What an amazing looking soup. I can almost taste it though my monitor.

20. Happycho says:

I made this for lunch today – thank you! It is delicious!

21. Brad says:

Thanks for the great recipe. Sounds hearty and spicy, a good cmbination.

22. Stacey says:

Thanks for sharing the recipe. I have about 15 young adults that I feed every Wednesday and this looks perfect.

23. Lindsay says:

Mmmm, finally tried this today! Mine didn’t come out as photogenic looking as yours so it won’t be on the blog, but it was very good. I’ll be filing this one away for future occasions!

24. Heather says:

I made this tonight and my family loved it!

25. Kaye says:

Made this for supper tonight. It was delicious! Thanks for sharing!

1. Tweets that mention Tex-Mex Potato Cheese Soup | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog -- Topsy.com - November 9, 2009

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Evil Shenanigans, Evil Shenanigans and MyGourmetConnection, Renee J.. Renee J. said: RT @bakingblog: Tex-Mex Potato Cheese Soup: I’ve established that I used to be in a potato rut… http://bit.ly/338nZC <– Yum! […]

2. uberVU - social comments - November 9, 2009

Social comments and analytics for this post…

This post was mentioned on Twitter by bakingblog: Thanks for the RT!! @gourmetconnect @RJFlamingo Tex-Mex Potato Cheese Soup: http://bit.ly/338nZC

3. Potato Soup « The Teacher Cooks - November 10, 2010