Spiced Chocolate Crinkles

Fri, Dec 11, 2009

Baking, Cookies, Featured Articles, Recipes

There is something magic about a soft, chewy chocolate cookie.

Spiced Chocolate Crinkles

Crinkle cookies are an attractive addition to any platter of cookies.  I have a recipe that was given to me by a friend long ago which is lovely on its own, but you know me and my propensity to tinker.  Inspired by my Chocolate Spice Cake I decided to add some warm spices to the cookies, and I also punched up the chocolate flavor by using more cocoa powder than the regular recipe calls for.  I also used Dutch processed cocoa powder which adds a deep, rich color.

Spiced Chocolate Crinkles

The result is a cookie that is soft, chewy and pleasantly spicy.   They are great to make ahead as they freeze very well and everyone I have fed them to asked for seconds … and thirds … and fourths!  I will say up front that they dough for these cookies is exceptionally soft and you may think that there is something wrong with the recipe as you roll the dough in powdered sugar.  It is intended to be that soft.  It may be a little more difficult to handle but it is worth it!

Spiced Chocolate Crinkles

Just a note, there is still time to enter my Microplane giveaway.  All the details are here!

Spiced Chocolate Crinkle Cookies    Yield 4 dozen

1/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
4 tablespoons canola, or vegetable, oil
2 cups packed light brown sugar
4 eggs
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup Dutch processed cocoa
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon all spice
1/8 teaspoon cloves
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ginger
2 teaspoons baking powder
Powdered sugar for rolling the cookies

Heat the oven to 300 F and line two sheet pans with parchment paper.

Spiced Chocolate Crinkles

In the bowl of a mixer cream together the butter, oil and brown sugar until well combined but not fluffy.

Spiced Chocolate Crinkles

Add the eggs all at once with  the vanilla and mix to combine.

Spiced Chocolate Crinkles Spiced Chocolate Crinkles

In a separate bowl sift the flour, cocoa powder, spices, baking powder, and salt together.  Add the sifted mixture to the egg mixture and mix well.

Spiced Chocolate Crinkles

Scoop the dough by rounded tablespoons into the powdered sugar.  Roll the dough to coat and place on the prepared sheet about two inches apart.

Spiced Chocolate Crinkles

Bake the cookies for 12 to 15 minutes, or until puffed all over.  Cool on the sheet pan for five minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

Spiced Chocolate Crinkles

Spiced Chocolate Crinkles

© 2009 – 2010, Evil Shenanigans – Baking & Cooking Blog. All rights reserved.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

29 Responses to “Spiced Chocolate Crinkles”

1. maria says:

I love crinkles. They are so pretty and perfect for the holidays. I added them to my top 12 Christmas cookie list-I posted that list today: http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com.

2. Cafe Novo says:

Whoa, I had to leave a comment and tell you how mouth watering those cookies look / sound. Christmas is my favourite baking time of the year, for all the spiced goods, can’t get enough!
    These are joining the recipe roster this year, thank you for sharing!

xo
    Elizabeth

3. Jamie says:

Oooh love Chocolate Crinkles but somehow these look even better than they usually do. I can tell they are perfectly chewy – which I love – and I love the spicy addition. Excellent!

4. Marye says:

I did some like this but with Chai spices. they look amazing! Great pics! ;)

5. VeggieGirl says:

Love your “kicked up” version of the cookies!

6. Bob says:

Oh wow, those are amazing looking! I love spices in chocolate, too. Good stuff!

7. Aaaaaand now I’ve found one of my Christmas cookies. Yippee!

8. this are so festive looking!

9. Nutmeg Nanny says:

Delicious! I love the little twist to the traditional chocolate Christmas cookie. Yum!

10. I had crinkles for the first time a couple years ago and i can’t get enough off them. I’ve been trying to find a decent recipe for one and I think I may have just found it. WOOT!!!

11. Ivan Maminta says:

Did this today! Love the Recipe. Love the result! My daughter wolfed it down…now she is asking for another batch, amid the shaking and hyperactivity from the sugar rush! Will do it again in the morning.

12. lk says:

I loooove chocolate crinkle cookie,s but never had spiced one before. These look so good!

13. I tried to make these cookies a few days ago using a cookbook I’m supposed to review. Unfortunately mine ended up looking like donut holes.

14. Kimberly Q says:

These are so interesting to look at, thank you for all of the pictures as I think I could look at them all day. This could be a new way to meditate. I cannot wait to try these, what could be better than rich chocolate and two kinds of sugar. Sounds heavenly. Thank you for the recipe.

15. Zibi says:

These cookies combine everything I love! I will definitely bake them soon.

16. Mary says:

I just made these and they are fantastic, and I’m not even a chocolate lover. I used a tiny ice cream scoop to drop them into the sugar so they weren’t messy at all.

Thanks!

17. Kristen says:

I just tried this recipe with regular (Trader Joe’s organic) cocoa powder, not dutch processed. It did not turn out at all! The batter is more like cake batter consistency (doesn’t look like your pictures at all), the powdered sugar melted into the dough before cooking, they are not very chocolatey, and SO soft the cookies don’t come out round. The spiced flavor is nice, not too spicy but enough that they remind me a little of a gingersnap. I’d try this recipe again, but not without the right kind of cocoa powder.

Kristen – I’m very sorry that you did not have success with the recipe! It sounds like you needed to add a little more flour, perhaps. The dough is soft yet scoopable, but not as thin as a cake batter.

19. These look absolutely delectable :-)

20. I absolutely love chewy cookies… These look *amazing*… Definitely want to give this one a try!

21. These look gorgeous! I will definitely be trying this recipe! Thanks for sharing!

22. These look fantastic. I’m definitely trying this recipe out!

23. Annie says:

This didn’t turn out as well as I’d hoped. The batter was thin to begin with, so I added some more flour and it thickened up fine. I really liked the combo of chocolate and spices, but the cookies had a hint of a carbon-y taste, even though they weren’t burnt at all, that I couldn’t get past. I wonder what the problem was?

24. Tom says:

In my family we call these cookies chocolate pixies, and make them with melted unsweetened chocolate.

There is also a recipe that uses butter instead of the oil.

I made a batch of both and passed them out, asking for feedback. The oil-based cookies were just a little bit better than the butter-based cookies.

Original recipe: http://www.cheesecake4breakfast.com/?p=60

Comparison between the two recipes: http://www.cheesecake4breakfast.com/?p=154

Tom

25. anne says:

hi. tried this recipe today and it wasn’t i hoped it to be. they were dry and puffed up, while yours were looking moist and flat. i used dutch processed cocoa but they did not turn out to be as black as yours. what do you think seems to be the problem? did you use the baking powder in the recipe because i did not find it in the procedures. thanks :)

Anne – Not all Dutch-processed cocoa is the same, and some brands are darker than others. I used the Hershey’s Special Dark for this recipe. I saw the error in the recipe and added the baking powder. I did use it. I’m not sure what caused this recipe to fail for you. Did you change anything? Add more flour or something?

27. anne says:

i actually omitted all the spices.. do you think that could have contributed to my misfortune with these cookies?

28. Grace says:

These are fantastic cookies! very tasty… one tip i have is to rub some butter on your hands before you form the cookies and roll them in the powdered sugar. thanks for this awesome recipe :)

1. Tweets that mention Spiced Chocolate Crinkles | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog -- Topsy.com - December 11, 2009

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Evil Shenanigans, Evil Shenanigans. Evil Shenanigans said: Fresh Shenanigans! Spiced Chocolate Crinkles! http://bit.ly/4RRWcE [...]