Chocolate Chip Banana Blondie Cake

Once again, a culinary accident has become something beautiful.

Chocolate Chip Banana Blondie Cake

I set out, the other evening, to make some chocolate chip banana blondies.  One thing led to another (as they usually do while baking) and what emerged from the oven was … light and fluffy?!  Filled with despair, since these were not the chewy bars I had been craving, I was tempted to throw the whole pan in the trash, but I decided to try a taste.  Boy am I glad I did!  On Twitter I shared my unexpected joy at my happy accident and Greg of the beautiful, and delicious, Sippity Sup suggest I call the recipe Blondie Cake.  It was perfect, because it has a very blondie flavor, but it has the texture of cake.

Chocolate Chip Banana Blondie Cake

The cake has a subtle banana flavor, it does not beat you over the head.  With each bite you get a sort of layered flavor experience.  First is sweet vanilla from the cake, then a morsel or two of gooey chocolate, and finally, when you exhale, you really get that banana aroma.  I find it all quite delightful.  A simple dusting of powdered sugar was all I needed as topping, but if you want to gussy things up a bit try a chocolate or *ahem* brown butter frosting.  Either would turn this humble snacking cake into a full-fledged dessert!

Chocolate Chip Banana Blondie Cake    Serves 8

1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter, melted
2 eggs
1/2 cup mashed ripe banana
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Powdered sugar, for garnish

Heat the oven to 350 F and spray an 8″x8″ pan with non-stick cooking spray.

Chocolate Chip Banana Blondie Cake

In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.  Set aside.  In a medium bowl cream together the sugar, butter, and vanilla.  Add the eggs and bananas and mix until smooth.

Chocolate Chip Banana Blondie CakeChocolate Chip Banana Blondie Cake

Add the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until the dry ingredients are just moist.  Add the chocolate chips and mix until evenly distributed.

Chocolate Chip Banana Blondie Cake

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the cake is golden brown and pulling away from the sides of the pan.  Cool in the pan for 5 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

Chocolate Chip Banana Blondie Cake

Dust with powdered sugar, if desired, and enjoy!

Chocolate Chip Banana Blondie Cake

© 2011, Evil Shenanigans – Baking & Cooking Blog. All rights reserved.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

32 Responses to “Chocolate Chip Banana Blondie Cake”

1. maria says:

I am loving this recipe! I always have bananas on hand! Thanks!

2. i think you mean “serves 1″ on the serving size ;)

3. sippitysup says:

Ah Twitter, how did we ever live without it? GREG

4. Utter gorgeousness deliciousness. I watched that exchange on Twitter and am pleased to see they have an appropriate name for their texture!

5. RJ Flamingo says:

Beautiful! Just bookmarked this – I think it’s a natural for May’s SOS Great American Bake Sale. :-)

6. Felice says:

Love it! You photo is beautiful and I can’t wait to try this. I was just about to throw away a couple of bananas because I was sick of banana bread or muffins, but I am glad I still have them so I can try this recipe.

7. Jennifer says:

What a great happy accident. Sounds delish. And as always, your pictures are making me want this dessert RIGHT NOW!

8. Lauren says:

Yum. Chocolate + bananas = heaven! And blondies in a cake? Yes please :)

9. This is irresistible! I must try this – bummed I don’t have any bananas in the house right now. Love these kind of delicious “mistakes.” Thanks!

10. Yay for snack cakes! I love it that you called it that instead of ‘brownies’…I get so angry when a brownie recipe is cake-like! My son the banana freak will love this!

11. Evan Thomas says:

Beautiful photography!

12. Michelle says:

I love snack cakes. Any cake you can walk around with has to be a hit, right?

13. Sounds like the perfect way to use up my squishy nanners!

14. Just because something does go exactly as planned never means that the result isn’t good. We just have to be open to the possibility.

15. Vikki says:

In the oven as we speak! I’ll review on my blog later this week! :)

16. It’s really beautiful and scrumptious cake! U did great job ^_^ Can I have a big portion??? ^_^

17. Kat says:

Looks awesome. I bet some nuts would go well in this!

18. lynne says:

yum! sounds perfect for breakfast!

19. briarrose says:

I’m glad these didn’t get chucked. ;) Banana and chocolate…what a wonderful combination.

20. Tiffany says:

I love the idea of a blondie cake!

21. I’m always looking for new ideas for putting my brownish bananas to good use. I will definitely use this one! Thanks!

22. lena says:

this looks very light indeed, would probably give it a try one day!

What a delicious accident!

24. Paula says:

I hear that Coke and Potato Chips were accidental inventions too and look what happened! Great recipe and heartfelt congratulations on the book deal!

25. Hooray for delicious kitchen accidents! This cake looks spectacular.

26. Blondies are great because of their chewy texture, but somehow this light, fluffy version seems just as great. I love the flavor combo!

27. I love light cakes like this, and I’ve made something sort of similar too! Yayy for accidents, that’s what I love about baking, even our mistakes taste awesome :)

28. I tried your recipe with just a few changes, and it came out SUPER! Just wanted to let you know and thank you! Check it out at http://www.koshercookingforordinarypeople.com/2011/01/chocolate-chip-banana-blondie-cake.html.
    Thanks,
    Rivki

29. Tracy says:

So yummy! Maybey a little to good…can’t stop eating/making this recipe! Thanks!

30. Tina says:

Yum, great recipe! I was searching for a specific banana brownie recipe my aunt made all the time when I was younger. While this wasn’t exactly it, it tasted really close to it. It was very delicious, my kids are begging for more.

1. Tweets that mention Chocolate Chip Banana Blondie Cake | Evil Shenanigans - Baking & Cooking Blog -- Topsy.com - January 7, 2011

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Evil Shenanigans and others. Evil Shenanigans said: Chocolate Chip banana Blondie Cake – Fresh Shenanigans! http://bit.ly/eR4e0H [...]

2. Chocolate Chip Recipes | recipegirl.com - April 1, 2011

[...] Chip Cheesecake by RecipeGirl Chocolate Chip- Banana Bundt Cake by Amanda’s Cookin’ Chocolate Chip- Banana Blondie Cake by Evil Shenanigans Chocolate Chip Cookie Cupcakes by Une-deux senses Jack Daniel’s Cake with [...]